1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD burner model DW-D22A problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by denzilla, Jan 2, 2005.

1. denzilla

denzilla Member

I bought this drive from Zipzoomfly about a week ago. I just installed it and have run into a major problem. If I use the "cd copy" function in Nero Express (6.6.0.3) the buner always locks up during the lead-out pahase of the burn. Its pain to kill the process and I cannot gain access to the drive until I restart the system. I was going to send it back for a replacement, but I found another guy on the net with the same problem and he exchanged it once already to have the same issue again. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there any hope of fixing it? I have the BSY2 firmware BTW. DoesSony not support their drives with new firmware. I read on another forum that this was just a rebadged Lite-On, but I'm not to crazy on flashing Lite-On firmware to this as it will void the warranty. Thanks in advance.

2. louderosa

louderosa Guest

I just got a sony dvd drive dw-d22a for christmas and spent 9 to 10 hours trying to copy a movie. nothing worked. I tried dvd cloner II, 1 click cloner, nero 6, and a couple of other well rated software packages. None worked. tried to update firmware, no way not supported by anyone I could find. I kept getting burn errors and wasted about 20 or more disks. I finally found this little program that is free and works better then any of these sophistcated ones. DVD Decrypter. I installed it and both read and burned fully protected disks without any hangup at all. PS before I tried this, Ireturned my dw-d22a and purchased a lite-on 1633s and had the same problems. the DVD Decrypter software solved the problem.

3. denzilla

denzilla Member

I haven't tried to copy any movies, yet. My problem was when trying to copy a normal CD using "disc copy" in Nero express. It wouldn't finish the lead-out track and lock the whole computer down. I reported the problem a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully they fixed it with this months update. DVD Decrypter is a nice app though :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  4. phish420

phish420 Member

update? There are updates? My D22A wont recognize the DL 8.5GB disks like it should. Have been looking for firmware updates for a while now. Any links on where I can update my firmware? I keep seeing that it was supposed to come with an 'update cd' but mine came with no CD.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

According to Rpc1.com there is no firmware update for your Sony at this time. Just a patch of some sort to make it region free.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Can someone try to burn a Dual Layer movie (bigger than 4.5 GB) onto a dual layer disc using DVD Decrypter and PTP instead of OTP? PTP is Parallel Track Path and OPT is Opposite Track Path. PTP burns the first layer from inside to outside, then the second layer inside to outside. OTP burns the first layer inside to outside and the second layer outside to inside. Please tell me how this turns out.

Thanks in advance.

7. denzilla

denzilla Member

If anyone else is having problems with Nero and this burner, please report it to Ahead. I've reported it two times and have since downloaded two new version and the problem hasn't been fixed. Guess they don't give a crap unless a bunch of people report it. They've yet to respond to any of my emails.

8. hippyboy

hippyboy Member

i have the same drive & im also having problems!! mine keeps reading blank discs as full.
    everytime i click to burn the drive ejects saying please insert a blank disc, if i pop disc in my old burner it burns 1st time (jus very slowly) ive only had mine a week & im thinking of jus sending it back n getting a different model.
    ive read on another forum these are very problematic & are being withdrawn on jan '05 because of it hence no new firmware.

9. denzilla

denzilla Member

I wish I had sent mine back :( Sony should be made to fix them, regardless if they're OEM drives or not!

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You may want to contact member ccampbell. He works for Ahead and may be able to help or at least verify the problem between Nero and your drive. Just do a search for him and a thread should come up where you can PM him.
    Good luck.

Jerry

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@denzilla

Please keep in mind that I have no way of knowing your expertise in PC's but I would like to help if I could by asking/suggesting two things.

If you have two Optical drives, hopefully the burner is set to master and the other is set to slave. Also, most PC cables 40 or 80 pin has a separate master, slave and MB connector. If you are not sure of your cable type, newer PC’s will also allow for C/S which is cable select.

Some problems arise between drives this way. It's like coming to a fork in the road and if neither of the drives are setup properly as master and slave or if they are and the cables are not positioned right, everything will just lock out, (came to the fork in the road and couldn’t figure which way to go,) and you will have to reboot.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sorry for double post. ISP problems.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  13. nycsunny

nycsunny Member

Got mine for this month too. Won't play Memorex 8x DVD-Rs. Disc would not load up at all on my computer. My friend put a movie on the disc and and tested before lending me. I wasn't able to find any support on this drive from Sony's website. It's not even listed. Anybody has a official link to this drive from the Sony site?

14. goalc

goalc Guest

Hi, this is the UK calling !

I have the same problems - my dvd will burn to +R but not -R (and _R is what you really need here in the UK to play on standard dvd players). The drive won't recognise any discs I put in at all and just hangs the system.
    I see from ScubaBud's post that if I have two drives, I should set the DVD to be the Master - can someone please help explain how I do this ?

This device has been a blooming pain to say the least !

Many thanks for your help....

15. denzilla

denzilla Member

Since this was an OEM product (at least mine was) don't expect any support from Sony. I heard this burner was quickly discontinued due to all the problems. I can use Verbatim 8x media, and the only issue I have is I can't use "CD Copy" in Nero, so I guess I'm lucky. Gonna milk the burner for all I can get, then replace with a Non-Sony model :)

BTW: over at Cd Freaks, they claim this burner is just a re-branded Lite-On. They said you could flash Lite-On firmware to it using a special tool.

16. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

I bought this on Feb. 19th. Initially I've had problems with burner using all the typical programs like DVD Cloner II, etc. The only one I could ever get to work right was DVD X Copy Xpress. However, I'm assuming XPress is capable of handling single-layer blank DVD's. First, does anyone know if that is true? I haven't tried any dual-layered DVD's yet to back up some of my DVD's. Has anyone done that? If so, what software? Is DVD Decypter capable of copying to dual-layer? Thanks!

17. Gazlaff

Gazlaff Member

I bought the drive (Sony RW DW D22A) thinking i was buying a quality piece of hardware but it is junk!
    after a few weeks of working fine it has stopped reading standard discs, it will only recognise DVD's which is a so annoying. anytime i put in a standard 700 or 800 meg disc it just spits it back saying the disc is full or incompatible. i read somewhere that Sony have stopped producing these because of faults so i expect my money back

18. mkny13

mkny13 Member

My drive seems to work alrigth EXCEPT it won't burn a video DVD sucessfully. I've gotten it to work one time, working from an ISO and using DVD Decrypter, I think, but no go with any of 6 or so other programs. I got it as an xmas present from newegg.com, so I figure I'm S.O.L. as far as support or a recall. I do find it funny/annoying that there's no mention of this model on Sony's support site. It's been Disavowed! Like the A-Team :)

19. tmac2085

tmac2085 Member

had no problems burning DVDs i have burnt more than 7 successfully, but audio cds are the problem. 1 out of 2 will finish burning at 100% and it stays there, and i have to reboot to get my freckin cd out!...i hate the burner!!!

20. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

I have the same burner but,mine burns dvd's fine it sometimes hangs when its doing the lead-out on a audio cd