1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD burner model DW-D22A problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by denzilla, Jan 2, 2005.

1. tmac2085

tmac2085 Member

so i guess we're screwed, and have to deal with it?

2. denzilla

denzilla Member

Same issue with mine. Always craps itself at lead-out.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Well, I guess I have a different Sony DVD/CD ReWritable/burner. I’ve had the “SONY DRU – 710A Double Layer DVD/CD ReWritable since November of 2004 and it is still going strong regardless of burning or backing up DVDs or CDs in a combination of nearly 250 – 350 (dvds & cds) and it has been doing a tremendous job flawlessly without any errors. I’ve just update their latest firmware on this one by going to their website at http://sony.storagesupport.com (for USA only). Why don’t you guys that’s having issue with the burner send it back and have them replaced into a different model, if your burner is still under manufacture warranty (within 1 year)? I would definitely send it back for another replacement if any issue arises in the near future. <----- knock on wood!!!

4. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

I don't know if I can,I bought mine as an oem from newegg last november I doubt they will accept it as a return

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I think if you can prove it to them (Sony) with a receipt then they should do a replacement for you regardless of where you get it from. However, I could be wrong though. Like I said; manufacture warranty is 1 year, so with that being said; if the burner is acting weird or unable to do it's tasks then simply send it back to Sony. [bold]Note: before you send it back, call Sony's number (depending on where you're from) and talk to someone at tech support or customer's help -- tell them that you want your burner to replace due to the fact that it's doing a horseshit job and won't burn at all. Hopefully, this time they'll give you some kind of confirmation # and address to send it to them.[/bold]

6. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

thanks for the info alkohol i'll see if I can return it or get it replaced

7. tmac2085

tmac2085 Member

i contacted sony through the support chat and they said:

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) products are not supported by Sony. Sony manufacturers and license hardware to compliment other manufacturer's equipment and is solely bundled as their product. We would like to be able to provide support for your product, unfortunately, the product you have is not a Sony supported product. A portion of Sony's business is producing special products for manufacturers to install in their systems. We recommend contacting the vendor directly for technical support or respective OEM that the product was purchased from. The vendor is familiar with the modifications on the product and best qualified to provided support.

You will need to contact the place you purchased or the PC manufacturer of the computer this drive came installed in.

AWESOME...they get to do NOTHING!

8. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

well I guess i'm stuck with it,it only does it on cd's not when I burn a dvd so I'm alright for now

9. tmac2085

tmac2085 Member

i bought mine off of ebay. the person will take it back and test it. and if its defective then they will ship to manufacturer (sony) think this is too much work to go through (shipping from ups or fedex)?

10. tmac2085

tmac2085 Member

^------ would anyone else do this?

11. denzilla

denzilla Member

Isn't this burner an OEM product? I don't think Sony accepts any liability for OEM hardware. They simply give you the finger and tell ya to go to the system builder for assistance.

Zipzommfly was going to exchange the burner for me, but I used Alchohol 120% and it worked fine with that, which made me conclude it was a Nero specific issue. I email Ahead Nero and reported the problem fully expecting a fix within the next couple of releases. Guess they don't care either :/

12. tmac2085

tmac2085 Member

well the last 2 audio cds i burnt burned fine. but im sure it will mess up more. so would you or anyone else reccomend sending it back to who i bought it from to see what they would do? or just keep it and deal with it?

13. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

tmac2085:
    I too have had to deal with Sony technical support, but mine was for issues with a Sony Viao computer. The Tech support was not any more helpful for their own product as you described for Sony branded devices built for another OEM. They either avoided answering my issue entirely, offerred a reference to Microsoft tech bulliten regarding another issue, or just answered a question that has nothing to do with what I asked. In other words, they were useless. They have the worst tech support from any manufacturer I've had to deal with (and I though HP/Compaq was inept)!

14. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

Update here...I have been able to make good copies using DVD XcopyXpress by 321.

15. turnapin

turnapin Member

A few answers I hope.

Had a user with a problem on a DW-D22A. Drive would see and write DVDs(Nero), but would not see CD's of any type. XP could see the drive fine, but would report no disk for any CD's. I tried the firmware update from BYS1 to BYS3, IDE channels, uninstalling etc but no difference.

Eventually robbed another DW-D22A(BYS1) from another PC and tried in this machine. Worked fine. Original DW-D22A now in bin. I'll stick with Pioneer in future.