1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD Player will not recognize the vcd??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by qdawg454, Aug 23, 2004.

1. qdawg454

qdawg454 Guest

I have a nice Sony DVD player that says it can read Video CD's on the front, but whenever i burn an mpeg video onto a cd or a bin/cue combo onto a cd, the dvd player just says "insert disc" or "did not recognize". Ive also tried many different programs to burn the CD. Can anybody think of any solutions?
    THANKS!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

How are you Burning the VCD"s??
    Make sure you are burning in VCD Mode with software that supports VCD Burning, You can not burn the Mpeg file as a Data CD....
    Also some older Players will Play VCD"s But not ones that are Home made only retail Ones...
    Also maybe try different Blank Media Brand...

Maybe consider getting a DVD Burner as they save a Lot of trouble and you can get up to 5 VCD movies on a Single DVD and DVD Burners are as Cheap as CD Burners these days as I have seen them for as Low as $50 and the Blank DVD"s are as cheap as .25c each...

3. geddylee1

geddylee1 Member

i may help some... i use tmpge to turn movies off the internet to something that will burn as a vcd in record now max of which i have a similar version on my sony vaio pc but its the same thing. get tmpge. also i needed to install winmpg to make tmpge even work even though i dont actually use winmpg i needed it to make tmpge work. you need to know the framerate of the movie your going to convert. download a program called avicodec to learn the frame rate. then choose the right framerate in tmpge and convert to ntsc or ntsc film depending on what avicodec said the frame rate is. convert it - then in record now max (that you can get off file sh progs.) choose video cd and burn.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You don"t need to have WinAVI Converter to get Tmpgenc to work as these 2 Programs have no relation to each other and there are no codecs or anything that is installed by WinAVI to make Tmpgenc work....

All you need is to have the DivX and XviD and FFDshow Decoders installed and Tmpgenc should be able to read most any AVI Format and if you do get an error opening a file that Tmpgenc should be able to open then you usually just have to Raise the Priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" in the VFAPI Plugins...
    You should allways decompress the audio in the AVI files as tmpgenc doesn"t like Compressed audio....

Cheers

5. toothless

toothless Member

I've had the same problem ever since i purchased my Sony DVD Player. Although it states VCD playback, thats another story. I've tried many types of media, eventually finding that it would only read VCD's created on SONY CD-RW disks. Or so I thought, the shop I made the purchase from only had one box of 10. Some I messed up when burning, the rest successful. Anyway, I managed to purchase another box, same brand and media type, only this time they won't work in my DVD player. I am so p***ed off with Sony, cos when I bought mine, I also bought one for my folks, so I could send them VCD's. I have since been unsuccessful in getting any diy VCD's to work. Next time I buy a DVD player take along a diy VCD to test first. I know I won't be buying Sony again.