1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD RW DW-U12A Crashes Computer with Blank Discs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by gatten, Jun 26, 2007.

1. gatten

gatten Member

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio with a Sony DVD RW DW-U12A burner which I bought as a package about 4 years ago; running on Windows XP

Just recently, when I put a blank / unformatted disk (Datawrite 4x DVD R) into the burner it completely crashes my PC (complete shut down and auto restart)

- i've burned to the same type of discs (from the same batch, using Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD) without any problems many times before
    - except when I last burned a disc, tried another disc and it worked, now it seems to be more permanent than 'intermittent'
    - i've tried up to 10 other disks (from the same batch) and the same problem, crashes my PC
    - i've checked the Sony support sites (first didn't identify this burner on the drop down menu, second one the link to the support site didn't work !)
    - i've reinstalled the drivers and no change
    - the burner reads and plays discs with no problems
    - checking Device Manager, no apparent issues
    - have run a full virus check (updated Norton) with no detections

I hope someone can help.

Regards.

2. Vashe

Vashe Guest

I'm having the same problem. I just tried to transfer some files from one hard drive to another using DVD-RW's and I get the same problem. On top of that, after doing some open source research I found out that others have been having the same problem for years. I've had my computer since 2003 but never really bothered using my DVD-RW til now. Bummer. I guess its time I get a new computer.