1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony dvp-ns725p not filling screen

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by taglin13, Nov 24, 2004.

1. taglin13

taglin13 Guest

I have the sony dvp-ns725p, and its a great dvd player. but when its playing dvd's, it doesnt fill the screen all the way. on the top and the bottom, there is about maybe an inch or less of black. does anybody else have this problem? or is there a solution to fix this?

thanks for your help in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2004
  2. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Hey taglin13, I have the same player (as well as two ns425's) and have not encountered this problem. I assume you are watching fullscreen movies, not widescreen? I'll look thru the menu setup screens and see if I can find you a solution.

If I don't post another reply you'll know I didn't find an answer for you.

Regards!

3. taglin13

taglin13 Guest

i'm pretty sure the dvd's are widescreen. i've checked the settings on the dvd player to 16:9 and the tv is widescreen. so i'm not really sure haha.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would do some research on apect ratios, if the film is wide screen, you will get the black lines top & bottom. Cinema uses a different aspect ration, 2.35:1 (I think!), tvs are usually 4:3. therefore ypu cannot fit the whole picture onto your tv without cropping the picture.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Widescreen tvs do not have the same ratio as cinema, so you still get the black lines top & bottom. Personally I prefer to see the film the way the director wanted me to se it, not some chap in the editing suite (or wherever this procedure happens!). This means black lines.
    I can live with that!

6. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

OK - I see what you're saying taglin 13. So here's what I know:

There are several different aspect ratios for widescreen DVDs. They cause small black bars (aspect ratio = 1:85:1) or large black bars (aspect ratio = 2:35:1 or 2:40:1) depending on the ratio. Both are called "letterbox" presentations.

On a regular 4:3 TV (aspect ratio = 1:33:1), these bars appear at the top and bottom and are prominent. However, these will still appear on a widescreen TV depending on the aspect ratio of the movie. My friend has a 70" Sony LCD TV and I've seen the bars you mention.

I have Sony 40" and Sony 32" HDTVs. I chose not to go widescreen since we watch TV broadcasts more often than movies. We only buy widescreen movies - the difference is worth the black bars.

Hope that helps!

7. taglin13

taglin13 Guest

thanks to all of u for your replies