1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DW-D22A Won’t Do Anything

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by McStagger, Feb 11, 2005.

1. McStagger

McStagger Member

Sony DW-D22A Won’t Do Anything

I installed this drive last week (I’m VERY much a DVD burning newbie) and began to educate myself on backing up my DVD’s. With the help of this forum I was successful at backing up several of DVD’s using DVD Shrink 3.2 and DVD Decrypter.

From the beginning, I was a little suspect of the drive, because the door doesn’t seem to open very smoothly (kind of lags at the very end) and I had to eject and reinsert DVD’s at least twice in order to get the DVD to be read. Well, now it won’t read anything. It simply makes a little noise like it’s trying to read the DVD (I tried several) but it never spins up to speed.

I’m using XP Pro with an Epox 8rda+ and and AMD Athlon 2500+.

I already submitted an RMA, but I’m stumped. Any ideas?

TIA.

McStagger

2. eillufwa

eillufwa Member

i have that same problem, i just sent sony a message and i would also like help :(

3. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Hey, I have one of those burners and it works flawlessly. Make sure you have the 4 pin molex connector pushed in all the way into the device and check the 40 pin cable too to and from the mobo/device. That is very weird; but, I 'd start their at the hdw install just to be sure. I assume you have a 1 - 3 year warranty. Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2005
  4. McStagger

McStagger Member

I didn't really have the time to follow through with my RMA...traveling too much. I find that sometimes it will read, some times it won't. Ultimately, if I eject and reinsert the DVD from one to several times (as necessary), ultimately, it'll start reading.

McStagger

5. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

So weird that it works intermittently. Do you have another burner that you can try? and/or try it on another machine?? It was new, right? Not refurb. Good Luck.

6. McStagger

McStagger Member

No...just this one burner and desktop. I bought it new. I think it’s strange too, but so far it’s not too much of a nuisance.

7. dcmk

dcmk Member

rite i lirally just this minute *tried* to install one of these and failed miserably.

i have a cd\cdrw in at the top, and that was set on slave when tried to fit this.

i put all the appropiate connections in power, fuzzy there was one thing i noticed that was missing from the cd\cdr drive and that was the little audio wire at the bottom, so not sure how significant this is...as you can tell complete newbie - but any sorta hlp would be great.

8. mderby

mderby Member

I have two of these drives and had loads of trouble with bad burns and not reading disks. Apparently it's a firmware problem on the earlier drives.Check the firmware in the drive, if it is BYS1 or BYS2 you may need to flash it to Liteon firmware as these are the same drive.I used DVDRW SOHW-1653S firmware and have had no problems ever since.

9. McStagger

McStagger Member

I'm traveling but will check it this weekend.

I've never “flashed” before. Any tips on how I can check which firmware I've got and where I can get the firmware you’ve recommended?

Also, any tips on how to accomplish the flash?
    Sorry if these are basic questions.

TIA.

McStagger

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  10. happyyyy

happyyyy Member

I also have the same problem ! the Sony dw-d22a can't read cd or burn a cd, ( but it works with DVD though)
    Anyone, please help me to fix this ! thank you very muchhhhh!

I already downloaded the DW-D22A_BYS2b.But I really don't know how to do the flashing . can you please show me step by step because I don't know much about computer.

11. pww111

pww111 Member

Sony's web sight has a diagnostic tool for burners. See my prev pots for the address. It has a whole list of which drives it can be used with...

12. chaoswirl

chaoswirl Member

I cannot stress this enough....CHANGE YOUR SONY DWD22A to a DRU-710A as the brilliant moderator dhc014 has suggested again and again over at Cdfreaks. I am a bit of a newbie with firmware flashing and it scared me too, but this fix worked perfectly. I got this piece of crap drive as an OEM with a new computer and had nothing but problems: It wouldn't read half my software install CD's (had to use my old cd-rw drive), it wouldn't work with Dvdshrink, Clonedvd, or Nero 6, and to top it off it would REBOOT my computer if it hit a scratch or dust while ripping a cd to my wife's Ipod. It was installed with BYS2 and i even tried flashing BYS3 and back again, to no avail. This model (Sony DW-D22A) is identical to the retail Sony DRU-710A and both are versions of the same Lite-on produced drive (1653S) however, the frimware is different! As a great number of people have seen the DW-D22A (wether its BSY2 or BSY3) firmware sucks. The DRU-710a firmware, as a retail version, has seen a number of upgrades already and will continue to see more I assume. To turn the DW-D22A into a working DRU-710A, I flashed the firmware using the LtnFW (lite-on flash tool available at http://dhc014.rpc1.org) and the latest firmware binary (available through http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html) and EVERYTHING is fixed. It burns movies fast and clear using Dvdshrink, it reads all my cd's and it has not rebooted since. Good Luck!

13. McStagger

McStagger Member

Well, after my DW-D22A failed to recognize 3 of the last 5 DVD’s I tried to backup, I figured I’d give flashing a shot. Unfortunately, it seems to be way over my head. First I tried was to create a Boot Disk from here: http://digi.rpc1.org/dos.htm This was unsuccessful on 3 different blank diskettes because of some sort of “head” error. Then I figured I’d try to create a boot CD. My original copy of XP is SP1. I downloaded and installed SP2. I have no idea what utility to use to crate a boot CD so I searched Google. A bunch of them talked about “slipstreaming” if you’ve downloaded SP2. Like I said…over my head. I guess I’d better leave well enough alone unless someone can direct me to a foolproof tutorial for flashing this drive.

TIA.

Tipsy