1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DW-Q58A won't read DVD-R's bitset to Booktype DVD-ROM

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by evx, Apr 5, 2007.

1. evx

evx Member

I have a
    Sony DW-Q58A DVD+-RW burner
    Firmware: UDS2 (latest from Dell) in a
    Dell Latitude D620 laptop running
    Win XP SP2.

Using Sony DVD-R
    media code: SONY16D1

I have a number of these DVD-R media burned on a BTC-1008 burner on my desktop.

I used the DVDInfoPro Bitsetting feature to change the book type to DVD-ROM.

No problem reading these disks anywhere else, just on this Sony (Lite-On) drive.

Drive reads other DVD-R's fine, so long as the Book Type was not reset.

Any ideas, please? Thanks.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You can't booktype the dash format to dvd-rom. Only the plus format can be set to booktype-with certain drives and programs: +r/+RW/+R DL.

The booktype is set at the beginning of the backup.Can't booktype them after the blank discs have been burned.

The sony drives that are rebadged Lite-ons can be set to booktype,but you may have to use a separate utility from lite-on:

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_utility.htm

Drives can also have compatability issues when switching brand names of dash media or even switching spindles of the same brand name. Example,you may be able to watch the sony -16x Ty-g03 MID code, but a drive may have trouble reading -16x Sony16D1 MID code. Both those look alike,but a huge difference.

Get some quality plus format media like taiyo yuden or verbatim and booktype them to dvd-rom to give you the highest compatability rate.After getting those booktyped,that litey should have a 95%+ chance of reading them.

When it comes to booktyping capable drives,the dash doesn't fare very well. It does fare better than the regular plus backups. But after booktyping those plus format backups to dvd-rom,the dash format don't even come close-for dvd drive compatability.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  3. evx

evx Member

Thanks, saugmon.

I realize there is disagreement about whether -R media can be booktyped, and that you're not actually resetting the lead-in, but fooling the drive into reading the booktype from the last border. Whether this actually works is irrelevant to me right now; I just want my laptop's Sony burner to be able to read disks I've burned this way on other drives.

My problem is that I have a ton of media already burned this way (on a BTC 1008), and they won't play in my laptop's DW-Q58A burner. Yet every -R (including others from the same spindles) I burned without booktyping via DVDInfopro reads fine in the Sony burner.

And all of the media (with or without bitsetting) read fine in other Lite-On DVD-roms.

I have no doubt I have quality media. All the MIJ Sony media I've used have been flawless, testing as good as TYs. (And, FYI, the few Taiwanese and Malaysian Sony discs I've encountered are the only non-MIJ media I've found that tests as well as the MIJ.)

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It is possible to booktype dvd-r to dvd rom,but not feasable because the plus format can already be set to dvd-rom.

Use dvdinfopro and see what it tells you about those discs-look at media type and booktype. Here's a +8x MIJ sony:

Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID YUDEN000T02
    Media Product Revision Number 00h
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name ROUNDERS
    Application id
    Implementation id AHEAD Nero
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 10/15/2005 16:20:48
    Format Capacity 3.98GB(4.28GB)
    Book Type DVD-ROM
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 1FDCDFh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Here's a dash 16x MIJ sony-,notice Dvd-r for both media type and booktype:

Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG03
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name NEW_POLICE_STOR
    Application id
    Implementation id AHEAD Nero
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 11/21/2006 22:08:38
    Format Capacity 4.27GB(4.58GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 16.0x 22160KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 16620KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 09
    2x Speed OPC power 09
    2x Write Strategy field 1 15 A9 9A 90
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 07
    4x Speed OPC power 11
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0C 10 0B 06
    4x Write Strategy field 2 95 07 0D 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 08
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 16
    4x Write Strategy field 4 17 96 88 85
    4x Write Strategy field 5 B7 89 33 83 30 33
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 22261Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Scan one of your sony backups that work on the litey and scan one of them that doesn't/click the clipboard and paste it back in your next post.

My drives have the booktype set through:Qsuite/Dvd shrink/Dvd decrypter/and ImgBurn. I leave them all set,never having to switch them back and forth. I prefer plus format,but anytime I get into those sweet sony tys -16x,I'll pick some up.

How do your stand alone players react to those sony backups?

Your issues may be a software conflict with dvdinfopro.
    I don't use dvdinfopro to booktype.

What other programs are you using and can you explain how you are backing them up?

BTC drives?

I wouldn't even consider them. Non booktypers,backups will have a lower compatability rate-especially when you replace that burners/ your stand alone players years later and start getting no disc errors when you want to re-rip them.BTC probably hasn't issued a firmware update for that drive in years,that can also factor in.

You've got dvd-rw drives that are strong burners and weaker readers like my benqs. Then you got crap drives that are strong readers and weak burners-like my HP640c

There's variations between all drives, Stand alone player,Game consoles,and PC drives and a ton of things that throw the pickier drives through a loop.

You may have to find another drive that can read those dash backups that won't play on your litey. If you can get a drive to recognize them,then you can rip them back onto your harddrive.Then when you burn them,use plus format media and booktype those bad boys.