1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Dw-u14a burning speed problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by JhenTsang, Dec 11, 2003.

1. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, or if the questions have already been answered elsewhere

I recently bought a sony dw-u14a, OEM version of the DRU-510a
    It doesnt seem to want to write at 4x.
    The fastest i have managed to get out of it is 2.4x

This is after patching it with the firmware for the 510a 1.0d
    using:
    Nero V 5.5.10.50
    and Datawrite Red version 2 DVD-R 4x media

My question is, is it a problem with the drive, or is it just incompatability issues with the media.

If it is the second case, can anyone give me a list of media which does work at 4x (that is relatively cheap)

Thanks

Jhen

2. bridq

bridq Regular member

I had the same problem with my sony dw-u10a when I bought it. It turns out that the problem was with my media; I needed to use 4x media. The best media for me so far has been memorex 4x media; it is also pretty cheap. Got a 50 pack at fry's electronics for $39.99 (about 1.60/disc). So try some new media and see if it works.

So how do you like the drive otherwise? I'm looking to buy that model for my brother for Christmas.

3. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Apart from the burning speed issue its been very good, burnt about 50 discs now, and not a single coaster even on cheap princo media.
    DVD videos work well in my PS2, havent tested on DVD player yet.
    I somehow managed to burn about 5 in a row at 5x using my existing media, then it decided to go back to 2x (shurg)

4. bridq

bridq Regular member

so using princo media you were able to get it to burn at a fast speed temporarily? Burning at 5x is awesome; I can only burn at 4. I don't know why it would go back to burning at 2x speed though. Especially if you didn't change the media. Have you tried looking for firmware updates? That might help. I'm going to buy it for my brother tomorrow. I'm sure he'll like it. Good luck with your burning.

5. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

OOPS, typo it was supposed to be 4x (14mins for a disc)
    Got the latest firmware, tried allsorts.
    It basically started recording at 4x after i installed new ASPI drivers.
    But after a while (about 5 burnt discs) it dropped to 2X
    i think some how my system is slowing down after leaving it on an hour or so, as after restarting its burning at 4x again.

Im sure when your brother manages to get 4x out of it, he'll love it.