1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony DW-U18A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Alien13, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hi

I have a sony DW-U18A dvd burner and i just want to know is this a good burner if not what would be good to get in the sony range?

2. ehrlichia

ehrlichia Guest

It's a great burner, I have one as well, picked mine up for cheap (58$) then I found an article at legitreviews.com on how to flash the drives firmware and now it's a liteon duel layer burner. it works great for me.

3. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Cool but does that void the warranty and can it stuff up your drive im not saying anything bad about that but i just wanted to know coz ill probably do it too?

4. ehrlichia

ehrlichia Guest

Yea,unfortunatly it does void the warranty but when duel layer burners are less than 100$ it's worth the try... it doesn't stuff it up it allows you to do alot more,the firmware tool allows you to fix alot of media problems. and if it doesn't work you can flash it back to the UYS1 Firmware. and if that doesn't work I hear they make great paperweights.
    good luck.
    here is the link for the article
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=109

5. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Cool i might do it when the warrenty runs out how long is the warrenty on the drive?

6. ehrlichia

ehrlichia Guest

you would have to check with sony to see if there is a warranty for this paticular model. If it's older than 1 year maybe not or check with the vendor you purchased it from.

7. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanx for the info!