1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DWU14A -+

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by greggsy, Dec 16, 2003.

1. greggsy

greggsy Guest

I have a Sony DWU14A.
    It only seems to work when I use DVD+R.
    When I try to copy with DVD-R it throws up errors and refuses to burn. It will not burn CDRs.
    I am using trial copies of Alcohol 120 % and DVD Xcopy express any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dpdanno

dpdanno Member

Is there a link to convert the DWU14A 's firmware to a DRU510A firmware?
    Is there a link to convert it back?

Has anyone done this?

I have seen links to convert the DWU10A to a DRU500A, so it must be possible.

3. libial

libial Member

Hi I am having the same problem. have you sorted it yet?

4. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

5. greggsy

greggsy Guest

With regard to the DWU14A. I went to the American Sony site and found some test software for the DVD RW. It said it was only for USA and Canadian citizens. but I downloaded it and when it asked for a name and address I used one from some software that I had. When I ran the test it showed the drive to be faulty so I sent it back and got a replacement.
    Hope this is of help to you

6. dpdanno

dpdanno Member

I have flashed my drive to a DRU-510A. It works great with specific media. Namely, Sony,Verbatim & TDK (-R) DVD's. I had purchased one box of Memorex & one box of FujiFilm 4X -R disks. I could not get them to burn, I thought it was the drive, but it turned out to be the expensive media. I have been burning on 2X TDK disks and have not had a probelm; Other than it taking longer. I called Sony and they said they have had problems with the Memorex brand. This was a easy fix, to bad I didn't know this before purchasing first two boxes of DVD's.