1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY LCD VS. SONT WEGA SXRD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mikej3131, Feb 7, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Go to Bestbuy.com

Scroll down to the bottom

Under product services Click on "Replacement parts"

Brand: Sony

Model: KDSR60XBR1

Search Word: Lamp

OR

Part #: F93087600

The bulb replacment under warranty is free along with installation.

Ced

2. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

This is correct. After some reading on this, I learned that HDCP is not made to enforce copyright proctection of digital data. It is made to keep data integrity when moving HD digital data from one end to the other. When HD data gets sent from a source, the data gets encrypted and the receiving device will decode the data stream. Only designated destination device can decode the data.

HDMI version 1.1 (which SXRD I believe has) has ability to transport 1080P signal. But a manufacture can implement HDMI with skipping 1080P input. I cannot verify weather or not SONY skipped it. If they skipped it, I cannot think of logical reason why ..

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hey Hawkeye ... this is a serious shot in the dark and totally off subject but I've been looking for a buddy by the same name for a long time; lost track of him. You weren't a navy corpsman at Chelsea Naval, where you? Just thought I'd try albeit a serious longshot!...Gerry

4. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

it says $250 for the bulb. Do i only have to buy one?

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

is sony the best brand of tv for lcd? if so, what comes second

6. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

I am looking at a sony and it says this
    1366 x 768 pixel resolution accepts all major DTV signals, including 1080i, 720p and 480p, plus standard 480i

Now what would its native resolution be? 1080i?

Also what is cinemotion 3:2 pulldown

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@ Hawk_Eye,

Exactly! Good reaserching!

Where I start most of my research...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

@ mikej3131,

What do you mean?

Yes, Samsung and Sharp

768p

What Sony calls its brand of [bold]3:2 pulldown[/bold] technology.

What is 3:2 Pulldown?
    http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn.php?p=theater_pulldown_deinterlacing

As a matter of proper forum etiquette please try to place all questions into the same post. If you post and forget to ask something, you can edit your post by clicking on the edit button in the upper right conner of all your posts. Thanks

Ced

8. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

So if im understanding this correctly, interlaced(ex. 1080i)is worse than progressive(1080p). Then would 720p be a better picture than 1080i

When that lcd tv description said "1366 x 768 pixel resolution accepts all major DTV signals, including 1080i, 720p and 480p, plus standard 480i "
    did it mean that it scales everything to 768p

And for the bulb, i meant is there only one bulb to replace every two years?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That is what people have been asking for years now. Its not a simple question to answer because of its subjective nature. But these are the facts.

Progressive Scan doesn't produce artifacts during fast motion scenes are shown. Also Progressive Scan displays produce images that do not produce any flicker between frames like interlaced video does.

Interlaced will always produce some level of flicker. At high refresh rates and normal motion video like say a documentary, interlacing is fine and way more effecient than progressive scan. Interlacing is how television has been used sence the beginging of tv. It is how all analog CRTs display pictures on screen.

So, when watching fast actoin like Sports or movies Progressive scan in better. When watching sit-coms and documentaries, interlacing is fine.

Yes.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
  10. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Its excellent at Scaling! It scales everything to 1080p (1920x1080 progressive). At the $5,000 price mark the scaling and video proccessing chips are decent across the board (at least for rear-projection tvs). For plasma screens expect to pay close to $10,000 for excellent scaling above 50".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if a shwo broadcasts in 720p and i have the 1080 tv, it would have to scale it to upconvert or downconvert?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. It will "Upconvert" from 720p (1280x720 progressive) to 1080p (1920x1080 progressive).

It has two HDCP compatible HDMI ports.

Diabolos, in ap revious post you said it will upconvert to 1080p. Now since you realized this tv cannot upconver through hdmi or any other ports(maybe firewire), will it upconvert to 1080i all the time?

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

mikej3131 your confussing your self.

The SXRD has a resolution of 1920x1080p and must display this reslution at all times. If you send it a 1280x720 image it will scale it to 1920x1080p. Scalling doesn't add resolution it just makes things look like it should.

The televisions 1920x1080p upconverting ability has nothing to do with excepting a 1080p signal. It upconverts because the signal isn't a 1080p signal!

Ced

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hey guys: I haven't said much but want to say thanks to all of you; this thread has been and continues to be most informative...Gerry

13. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Oh ok i think i see. So hdmi wont accept 1080p broadcasts or whatever else.

But whatever this tv accepts or recieves, it will upconvert it to 1080p? and if this is correct, would there be a big difference from recieving actuall 1080p signal than recieving another resolution and having it upconverted? and how much difference

Also is there any lcos flat panels?

Would the upkeep for a flat panel be alot easier and cheaper than with a rear projecton considering you have to spend 250every two years for bulbs on rear projections. what is the upkeep for a flat panel

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  14. rg4357

rg4357 Member

As of today the Sony SXRD produces the best image of any TV I have ever seen. Sony is expected to show several new HDTVs at their annual show in Las Vegas on 16 March. Usually, some of these units will make their way to the market place a few months later. In most electronics stores, the prices of the 50" and 60" SXRDs have recently begun to fall, and I think it has happened so that Sony can position some of their new HDTVs at a similar (sellable)price point, plus they need to reduce inventory to make room for the new toys. So, the current prices for SXRDs should fall even more. I foresee the 50" at $3000 and the 60" at $4000 very soon.

We're now seeing an accelerated transition to true HD native resolution: 1080p. Even Westinghouse and JVC now have 37" and 40" LCDs at 1080p, and at affordable prices.

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes because like I said, Upconverting doesn't add resolution. A true 1080p source would destoy any source unconverted to 1080p.

No.

Yes the cost of ownership is higher for a rear-projection than a flat panel. But the Flat panels cost alot more up front for the same size screen. In the long run they come out even unless your rear-projection or flat-panel last for a freakishly long time. But that doesn't normally happen.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
  16. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

So there is no bulb replacement or cleaning for flat panels. You just buy it and dont need to upkeep it like a rear proj.?

How long on an average do flat panels last, how long on an average do rear proj.'s last?

so any resolution the sxrd recieves, it will upconvert to 1080p no matter what?

What comes before 1080i/p, is it 720i/p or is there more that are higher?

In your opinion, is upconverted 1080p(which the sxrd has) a better picture than receiving and displaying true 720p?

And since i am finally undertsanding the sxrd's functionality with 1080p. i have a question. Just wondering what would be sending out 1080p for tv's to receive since most tv's cant accept it. What channels, dvds-player etc.? I know you said blu ray and hd-dvds send out 1080p. But is ther enaything else. regular dvd players? and also, does the dvd movie itself have to be 1080p?
    ___________________________________________________________________-
    hawk eye said this
    "HDMI version 1.1 (which SXRD I believe has) has ability to transport 1080P signal. But a manufacture can implement HDMI with skipping 1080P input. I cannot verify weather or not SONY skipped it. If they skipped it, I cannot think of logical reason why .. "
    Im geussing that they skipped it?

and

He also said asked which is the better picture
    1) DVD sends 720p (or lesser signal) to A/V receiver. A/V receiver sends 1080i to SXRD via HDMI. SXRD displays the signal in 1080P.

or

2) DVD sends 720p (or lesser singal) to A/V receiver. A/V receiver sends 720p (or lesser signal) to SXRD via HDMI. SXRD displays the signal in 1080P.

Why would number 2 be the better picture?

Diabolos you said

"Up-scalling from the source and upscaling at the tv set are two slightly diffrent things. It is recommended that people with HDTV big screens buy DVD upconvertors because they all have Digital outputs. Digital connections are better when the source and display are digital. Meaning that when a digital connection is used the tv set can preform scaling (if needed) properly whithout any Digital to Analog to Digital conversion issues. "

So the only reason to buy dvd upconverters(if you have a hdtv that upconverts anyway) is because they have digital outputs, not because they upconvert because your tv does that anyway?
    For example, would i benefit from a dvd upconverter if i have the sxrd sony or could i just get a regular dvd player with digital outputs and have the same picture quality?

Sorry for the long drawn out questions diabolos lol. Its just you've definitely been the best help ive gotten by far while searching for a tv

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. But there is a catch. Most LCD flat panels still use micro bulbs for back lighting. These panels will last about 40,000 hours (unlike rear projection tv bulbs that only last for 4,000 hours).

Yes.

pquote]What channels, dvds-player etc.? I know you said blu ray and hd-dvds send out 1080p. But is ther enaything else. regular dvd players? [/quote]

Other than Blu-Ray (not HD-DVD I was wrong about HD-DVD supporting 1080p) the only 1080p sources are D-VHS, WMV-HD DVDs, Divx-HD.

TV Networks arn't planning on broadcasting at 1080p since it just cost to much.

The only 1080p upconverter I know about is made by Denon.

To be a true 1080p source yes. Other wise it would just be de-interlaced 1080i which isn't quite as good.

There is less video proccessing involved. Meaning there is no interlacing involved, like in the first example, which would nigate the reason for a Progressive Scan source.

In the case of the SXRD since it has good video proccessing capabilities a cheap DVD upconvertor wouldn't do much good. But the picture quality would be better if the DVD upconverter cold scale better than the SXRD (like some 2,000+ flag ship models).

So the answer is yes, hypotheticly speaking, since there are no DVD players with digital outputs that don't also do upconvertion.

Ced

18. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

so micro bulbs for lcds last 10 times longer than rear projections? and once these bulbs run out in 40k hours then i would have to get the bulbs replaced just like with rear projs.?

Hey this was kind of a double negative and i didnt understand it so im just making sure what you meant

"So the answer is yes, hypotheticly speaking, since there are no DVD players with digital outputs that don't also do upconvertion. "

so you meant, every single dvd player that has a digital output has upconversion also?

Do you know any good 50" or higher flat panels lcd displays that do 1080p?

hawk eye said this

"HDMI version 1.1 (which SXRD I believe has) has ability to transport 1080P signal. But a manufacture can implement HDMI with skipping 1080P input. I cannot verify weather or not SONY skipped it. If they skipped it, I cannot think of logical reason why .. "

Im geussing that they skipped it?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  19. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. But the LCD back light cost almost as much as the unit (check the bset buy parts site for prices)! No one buys backlights they just buy new tvs.

Yes

No. I have never heard of a 50" LCD screen. The largest LCDs I have ever seen are 46" Sony and Samsung models.

Yea like most manufactures they intentionally disabled that feature.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
  20. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

could you suggest any good flat panel lcd's that have 1080p?

How many years on average is 40k of television in your opinion?

what are some good flat panel displays that dont use micro bulbs, and what do they use and how long do they last?

so rear projs. will last forever as long as you replace the bulbs every 2 years?