1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY LCD VS. SONT WEGA SXRD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mikej3131, Feb 7, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Nothing lasts forever, not even diamonds.

DLPs have millions of tiny mirros that tilt thousands of times a second. The are rated in the 100,000 hour range.

LCDs have pixel shutters that twist and untwist. The pixels are made of organic matirial that breaks down over time.

LCoS uses LCD panels that are not organic in nature but still uses tillting mirrors like DLP.

13-18 years depending on how much you watch tv and at what brightness level.

Samsung and Sony make LCDs that use LEDs for backlighting which increases the life span far beyong lamp light. But LCD pixels are still organic and will break down over time.

The only one I sell is the 37" WestingHouse which I don't recommend buying but the price is very good.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
  2. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

So how much time would these pixel shutters break down? and can you just replace them or is the tv just dead and should be thrown away after the shutters break down die?

and if im getting this right, the lcos rear proj's bulbs can be replaced as many times untill the tilting mirrors break down(which is in the 100k hour range)?

so what is the life span of an lcd that uses leds for back lighting as opposed to one that uses micro bulbs?

Do all these same rules apply for my 19 inch lcd flat panel monitor?

3. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

mikej3131,

Just out of a curiosity, why do you need to know all these questions that you really do not need to know?

4. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

what would make you assume i do not need to know them?
    Personally i think when purchasing a $4000 tv, i want and need to know everything possible there is to know and diabolos has been an expert on helping me
    I'm soakin this stuff in. Withouth these answers to all my questions, i would have probably made a very dumb decision.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  5. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

It's all good that you want to learn everything. But, the flaw is, you cannot learn everything. My only concern here is that by the time you learn EVERYTHING about current TV technologies, new technologies will arrive and you will need to learn EVERYTHING again on new technology.

I think this is the real question to ask. Should you wait for 2006 or 2007 SXRD? Words on the street says that 2006 SXRD will be based on LCD technology with contrast ratio of 10,000:1 (2005 sxrd has 1300:1). 2007 SXRD will be based on LED engine with XBRITE that will output wopping 30,000:1 contrast.

More variables to think about.

6. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

i said everything possible, not everything. And by getting these questions answered i have now, i am learning the basics and becoming less and less of the amature that i am and it will def. help me in the right direction.

That sounds interesting. what does the contrast have to do with, just a better picture overall?

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. LCD is LCD.

As for the other questions I'm not really sure. Mabye you could research them and let me know what you find.

------

@ mikej3131,

Hawk_Eye has a point. I thought you wanted an SXRD? What's with all the questions about Flat-panels.

If you want to make the right desision but you don't know how to then let a pro (like me...lol) help you.

I think that the questions your asking will never lead you to an answer. Why, because virtually every choice is the right choice. There are just situations that call for certain abilities that a certain technology might no have and another one does.

Answer questions that related to

Where the TV will be (the Room type);

Where the TV will sit;

How far away you will sit;

What will you be watching (or what will it be primarily used for);

and

Who will be using it!

Answer those questions and you might find a TV that is right for you.

You must have requirements other than you want a new tv, right?

-----

@ Hawk_Eye,

That sounds like complete crap. Remmber the term SXRD isn't a model type its a technology type. The model type is XBR or Grand Vega.

The term SXRD stands for "Silicon X-tal Reflective Display" which is a technology that is based on 3-chip LCoS.

The SXRD tech is capable of a 5,000:1 contrast ratio by itself and 10,000:1 with Sony's "Cinema Pro-Black" light shutter technology turned on.

Sony (SXRD)
    http://products.sel.sony.com/hdtv/tech/main/sxrd_index.html

Wiki (LCoS)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcos

Ced\

8. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

9. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

diabolos yeah i wanted the sxrd but also wanted to search around and research still. the requirements i have are the best bang for the buck(alot of requirements).

Sorry for the questions about everything including those not about the sxrd but you informed well and wanted to soak up all that knowledge.

As for all that other stuff you said after you answered the lcd monitor question. Thanks for being nice and tryin to put it in a nice way that you dont want to answer all these questions i had. But honestly, i would have prefered just a "I dont feel like answering your questions anymore, goodbye" honest, straight up comment instead.

but i can take hints and thanks for all your help.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You have me all wrong, I love answering qestions thats why I answer them.

I truely don't now how long LED based LCDs last cause I don't sell any of them. I know as much as I have told you about DLP Digital Micro Mirror Device (DMD) life-spans. DLP hasn't been around long enough for one to break down.

As far as LCD there is no stright answer because like I said the matirials are organic which leads to the main problem LCD panels have which is dead-pixels. The situation happens randomly and depends mostly on the quality of the maufacturing proccess.

---

All in all I ment what I said, do some research and let me know what you can find. Its what AD was made for. I feel as I think Hawk_eye does that the thread is going off track. It was turning into a Kick Ass SXRD Faq thread but got sidetracked around page 3.

What I want you to do is answer the 5 questions I asked you because I want to find you a tv you can be happy with for 10+ years.

I'm still here for ya,
    Ced

---LATER---

@ Hawk_Eye,

Check-out this artical...(PDF format)
    Skip to the pharagraph "Getting on with it."
    http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/documents/reviews/htmagazine.pdf

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2006
  11. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

Well. After doing some reading on SXRD and current home theater trend, I am going to wait for 2006 SXRD. Right now I think the market is in a phase where it's adopting the real HD rez, 1080P. I will buy my home A/V stuff once 1080P is all worked out. Also, I want to see release of HD-DVD and Blue Ray DVD.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, this is the time of the year when the slogan "Out with the old in with the new" is used alot.

Personally, I'm going to wait at least a year and a half before I up grade any of my equipment since DTV tuner are schuduled to be put in everything with tunning ability by March of next year (2007).

I'm not impressed with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD and don't feel like I need to buy anything right away. I mean with any new technology there will be bugs and things of that nature untill manufactures figure out what works and what doesn't (what consumers want and what they don't).

I don't know if you have heard of the SED display technology but that is the technology I'm saving my money up for.

Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Displays (SED)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/243527

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2006
  13. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

What would be the price point of SED technology? Will it be as affortable as rear projection TVs?

You are right about the time it takes for new technology to settle things down when they come out. But with SXRD and A/V receivers, I cannot find myself buying them when new models will have 1080P input and they are coming out later this year.

14. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Diabolos
    Well i am getting my own place no less than a year and thats why i am doing all this research for my new place. So the answer to the first question is gonna be one in my room(probably a flat panel, doesnt have to be 50 inches but more than 35 inches). Then there will be one in my living room(rear proj. or flat panel, definitaly want 50 inches or more)

both tv's wil probably be about 15 to 20 feet away from couch or bed.

I will be using both tv's for watching dvd's or maybe even blu-ray now, watching comcast SDTV/HDTV, and also will be using both tv's for gaming(gaming as in computer games or emulators, so a PC input is needed)

There goes the answer to those questions.
    Now after doing research, my requirements/needs are this :

Bedroom tv
    1) 1080p native res.
    2) PC input
    3) 35 to 50 inches
    4) Flat panel
    5) one or more HDMI inputs(preferably two)
    6) doesnt need a built in tuner as i have a comcast digital cable box(thats what a built in tuner is used for right?, so you dont need a cable box?)
    7) a good scaler
    Now Diabolos you mentioned the westinghouse 37" and i thought that would meet all these requirements i stated. I researched that and found many people were happy with it and the price is affordable but you said you wouldnt recomend it. Why is that

Living room tv
    1) 1080p native res.
    2) PC input
    3) 50 to 60 inches
    4) Flat panel or rear proj.
    5) one or more HDMI inputs(preferably two)
    6) doesnt need a built in tuner as i have a comcast digital cable box
    7) a good scaler
    The sxrd is the best i came across so far but it doesnt accept that true 1080p. Did hawk eye say the new model wil accept 1080p? if so i might wait for that one considering im not gonna be buying for a while

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  15. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

Well once again this thread has entertained me and enlightened me, thanks to you gentlemen for doing so. It once again convinced me to buy a 50" sxrd set but I'll wait until the 06 models come out. I'd like 1080p native input.

Mike

16. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

2006 SXRD should have more slim cabinet gives that more of flat pannel look when seeing it from the side. The light engine is totally re-designed (hopely for better.)

17. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

@ Diabolos or Hawkeye, can either of you confirm that the only wiring going to the side mounted speakers is speaker wiring?

My problem is that the 50" set is much wider because of the side mounted speakers. I'll cut of the speakers flush with the cabinet and use my a/v setup for sound.

Why you ask? because my solid oak entertainment center is only 52" wide.

Mike

18. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye Member

Mike,

Please do not cut off the speakers. That is rather radical action in my opinion. With 2005 SXRD, I really recommand SONY SU-GW12 stand as it can secure the TV better than any stand can. If you must use your existing TV cabinet, then go with LCD or Plasma.

19. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't know how I would go about confirming that. I would assume that that nothing else would be affected but I would take it apart before I cut.

I can't recommend either actions though because both would most definatly void any type of warranty or inssurance you may have on the tv.

Ced

20. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hey diabolos, you read my post before thsi one?