1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Mini DVD-RW Disk Errors

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by terryd, Nov 6, 2007.

1. terryd

terryd Member

I have about 4 disks that have errors on them and so I can't get any footage off them.

If I play them in the cam they will just freeze once they get to a certain spot, if I try do rip the footage from the dvd, every piece of software that I have used basically freezes and can't seem to get past these errors.

An error that seems to come up is 13:02 format error.

There is a company which claims to be able to recover the data but they charge around $250 per disk!! , but that means there has got to be some software that is capable of doing it.

These are home vids which have my kids on them so if anyone could help I would be most grateful.

p.s I have spent hours searching online without any luck!

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

There is a program that will get info off of damaged disks and I think it is free, but I cant remember the name. Do a google search.

3. terryd

terryd Member

Mate, I've spent hours searching and I haven't found a thing, could you elaborate a bit more?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There are quite a number of options.
    Examples of software to recover bad discs: Isobuster, cdroller.
    If progams like that don't work and you have more titles on the disc, you can try to rip the movies from the disc. In this case you will loose the title from the position where the error appears, but you can recover the undamaged ones.
    A method that I have used succesfuly myself is by using Ulead DVD MovieFactory/Disc Creator (I think you can download a free 30 days trial from their site). It has a feature called "Edit DVD". When you start that option it will start to extract the titles as separate MPEGs from the DVD. If the VOB contains an unrecoverable error it will just end the video on that position and continue with the next VOB. Run the program, start the edit disk option and when the DVD is captured browse to the scratch disk (it has a default location that is determined during installation of the program, but you can also change it manually) and copy the mpegs to another location (don't close the Ulead program before you copy the files because that will also automatically delete the mpegs).
    You can then use the recovered mpegs to author a new disc.

5. terryd

terryd Member

Thanks for the reply, unfortunatley I have tried to install the ulead program 3 times but it keeps comming up with a fatal error and doesn't install.

Any other ideas?

Much appreciated!!

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you can't even install a program, to your computer, you have a need to do some computer maintenance. Start with getting rid of viruses and spyware/adware from your computer, then defrag the hard drive.

When you are installing software, turn off any anti-virus software you have running, and turn off Defender, if you have that on your computer, and turn off any start-up programs that you have running when the computer boots up.

7. terryd

terryd Member

Yeah your rught, I'll give it a clean up tonight.

I managed to install the ulead software on to my laptop but it couln't process the disk either so I'm back at square one.

8. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

The program is called The Unstopable Copier.

9. terryd

terryd Member

Thanks for all your help people, I managed to get the data off the disks. I had already tried Isobuster without success but I decided to try the latest version out and it worked so I'm very happy!

Thanks to all those that contributed!

10. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I am glad that you were successful. That doesn't always happen when trying to recover data.