1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PCV-RZ22G TV Tuner Card Info

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by vurbal, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I recently had my PC taken out by lightning and in order to get me a replacement that had all the features I needed (specifically a DVD-R burner) the insurance company sent me a Sony PCV-RZ22G which also has a tv tuner card as it is supposed to be a general purpose A/V computer. I thought I would start using it to record TV shows but before I do I want to educate myself as much as possible (I teach computers and networking at a community college but am a complete newbie when it comes to tv/capture cards).

First off I figured I should figure out what card I have, which I thought should be as easy as looking in the Device Manager (WinXP) but I didn't find anything that looked like it referred to the tuner card. Next I tried Sony's website and didn't find anything better than generic marketing information. I also found a VAIO video capture/recording forum that had many users of this PC, but it is geared toward non-technical types and is pretty much just discussion of the recording software that Sony bundles with their machines.

Finally I decided to examine the card itself. As I expected it is a Sony card. From looking at the markings on the board I came to the conclusion that the model is ENX-15 (which didn't help me find any more information on the web). Other than that the only thing I can really say for sure is that it has a C-Cube ZiVA-3 MPEG-2 decoder chip, which apparently is mostly found in older standalone DVD players based on IDE drives.

If there's anyone who has more information about this card, such as what kind of quality it is capable of, what software it may or may not work with (it comes with a program called Giga Pocket which is easy to use but hasn't given me as good of a picture as I hoped even set to high quality) or anything else you think I might find useful I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.