1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony player saying "disk is dirty"

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sschevel, Feb 12, 2005.

1. sschevel

sschevel Member

I have made a few back-ups over the past few months. All working perfectly.
    I am using a NEC 3500A.
    Decrypt, Shrink, and Nero.

Today I purchased some new DVD-R's and then discoverd that my Sony Home Theater system would not read the disk and would flash "Dirty disk" and then move to the next disk.

I thought it might be the new DVD-R's so I purchased my usual brand. Burned out a new disk and ended up with the "dirty disk" error.

I tested the backup on my Sony combo drive, a Sony PS2, and 3 different PC's in the house. The disk works in all BUT the home theater system.

Any ideas?
    The NEC burner is only about a month old and likely only burned 10 or so DVD's.

Thank you

2. sailnaked

sailnaked Member

I have two different models of Sony stand alone DVD players. Neither will play DVD-R media even though the players' specs say that this media is compatible. I get the same message..."Dirty Disk". They play fine on my PC's which I realize doesn't mean anything other than that the backup was successful.

I normally backup with DVD+R media and have not had a problem with either either of the Sony units playing these backups.

I've searched through a lot of threads in this and other forums without finding a solution for this problem.

3. HKT3020

HKT3020 Regular member

I came across this problem once, and it turned out that the disc was incompatiable. Ever since, I've been using Ritek media and no matter how damaged a DVD is...it'll always playback fine on PC even if a stand alone DVD won't play it back.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The question might be if it worked with one media before but now it doesn't work even after using the same media again, then two things are possible. One, the media might be under the same name but made by a different manufacture then what it was before, which happens all the time, or two, there is a problem with your Sony Player. I don't believe that it is in your burner. Have you tried Sony DVD-R 8x media? It is rated at 16x for your burner I believe and might be worth a try.

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've had a Sony DVP-NS 305s for a long time now ... and through experience I'd say it was probably the media incompatability.

I suggest using Ritek G05 or maybe some Taiyo Yuden media [if ya can afford the TY's that is].

6. sschevel

sschevel Member

Flashed the DVD with new version, reboot and now its burning with both media again without problems.
    Not sure what was up with it.....
    Thanks to all who offered help.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

i have 2 sony standalones and they will play anything i put in it. i have yet to see either one not play a disc