1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony player won't read my disc -- XCopy skips

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by niceum, Apr 13, 2005.

1. niceum

niceum Member

I've had success shrinking then burning ISOs with my computer, but my Sony player won't read the DVD+Rs.
    It's a Sony DVPNS325 - capable of playing all the DVD+, - R and RWs
    The only thing it reads is DVD+RWs (they happen to be verbatims) -- why is that?
    I just tried Khypermedia, Fuji and HP DVD+Rs and then won't play.
    My computer plays them fine in PowerDVD, but my sony won't read it and neither will my XBOX (It won't read anything, unless I burn with Xcopy).
    Here's what I do -- I shrink the disc in SHRIK, then it opens Decrypter to burn the ISO onto disc. That's it. The only thing I mess with is the sound options in shrink (I uncheck everything but 5.1).

ALSO -- is there a reason why my XCOPY discs stop then skip ahead 10 seconds mulitple times during a movie in my sony -- it used to work fine, now it never works smooth -- everything skips?

2. niceum

niceum Member

My DVD burner is a Sony RW DRU-510A

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would say you've either got a compatability problem with your set top player or a problem with media. One reason it is only playing the verbatums could be because verbatum is top grade media. What is the brand of the media you're having problems with and what is the MID code?

You can make your dvd+r's more compatable by booktyping them dvd-rom if your burner is capable of doing this. You might want to try some dvd-r media since they are more compatable than +r.

Remember to always use good high quality media for vidio files, regardless of whether its +r or -r. Just because your set top players manual says it will play the format you are useing, poor quality media can still cause compatability problems.

Make sure to defrag hdd regularly and run an adware/spyware removal proggy. Let me know the MID codes of that media.

4. niceum

niceum Member

Breaking it down (I'm not good with abb. (<--I abbreviated, haha) and even if I was, I probalby wouldn't know what you're asking anyway.
    1. I don't know what you mean by "set top player"
    --The sony won't play anything but the DVD-RWs (all the DVD-Rs burned with Decrypter (ISOed from shrink) won't play for some reason.
    --The MEDIA WILL WORK, however, if I use XCOpy Xpress -- but skips frequently and the movies are unwatchable (Could it be b/c the folder it copies them into isn't right out of the C: -- it's actually on my desktop -- my theory, the computer has to send the info too far (does that make sense?)).
    I have 8 ISO movies on my hard drive waiting for a solution. I don't want to burn up all my RWs, b/c I have loads of +Rs.
    The kinds I have -- all +Rs
    Khypermedia 8X
    Fujifilm 8X
    HP invent 8X
    And the VERBATIMs that work -- I also have "GREAT VALUE" dics -- yes that's the brand name -- but I don't even bother.
    2. MID code -- ? I don't know what that is, or how to find it -- I think. Maybe if I knew what it meant.
    3. "booktyping them dvd-rom if your burner is capable of doing this" WHAT? I don't understand.
    4. "Make sure to defrag hdd regularly" Defrag my hard drive? I have norton, spy sweeper and spybot -- all clear there. Should I turn off Norton when burning? I don't even know if that's what you were talking about.
    I'm determined to get a solution--I'll keep checking back tonight--let me know if you are too.

5. niceum

niceum Member

I think my media is high quality -- its ISO files I want for my DVD player, right?
    The movies play fine in my computer -- its so frustrating.
    Maybe my sony dvd player doesn't like the DVD+Rs -- is there a solution for the Xcopy?
    It used to work fine. I have Kypers that work excellent.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

OK,
    The dvd player you use to watch your dvd's on your tv. Usually called set top or stand-alone because it is usually on top of, or sometimes under the tv on a shelf.

MID stands for manufacturer ID. A lot of media is not made by who it is branded as, eg. memorex uses several manufactures (ritek, ricohjpn, cmc mag, infodisc) and is not recommended. Download this free proggy to determine the MID codes of your media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Don't worry about this right now untill you get a little further along in your backup experience.

Right click on your hdd<click on properties<click on tools<click on defragment now<click on defragment. This may take a while depending on how many files are on you hdd, how big your hdd is, and how many files are fragmented. I defrag my hdd's about once a week. I don't disable my anti-virus but some recommend you do especially if your system is a older and not very fast. If you disable your anti-virus I recommend getting of the net (which you should anyway if your pc isn't very fast). You might even want to disable your screensaver.

How much free space do you have on your hdd? What are your system specs (cpu speed, memory, hdd size)?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  7. niceum

niceum Member

My computer is brand new - I had it made to play the latest games -- it's FAST and the hard drive is 111 GB (half full b/c of all the ISOs). I'm defragging now (I think, I just kept clicking and selected to defrag the C:).
    And I'm DVD iding now -- the Verbatims MID are MCC

8. niceum

niceum Member

Should I not be putzing around while defragging? What does it do?

9. niceum

niceum Member

It's defragging at 1% after 2-3 minutes -- this is going to take some time.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Post the Mid codes of all your media eg.

Fuji=YUDEN000T02

Verbatum=MCC003

I'm not saying thats what yours are just examples.

11. niceum

niceum Member

Khypermedia ID -- CMC Mag
    Fuji -- UDEN000
    HP -- CMC Mag

12. niceum

niceum Member

The defragging is actually stopped on an ISO file (stuck on 1% but it's not saying "not responding".
    That's ironic -- should I be worried, shut it down or what?

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I wouldn't encode or burn while defragmenting but you can surf the net and chat here no prop.

No let it defrag. It may take an hour or even longer.

Those Verbatums are top notch stuff. Thats probably why they are the only ones working. Poor quality media is #1 cause of problems.

14. niceum

niceum Member

OK -- it's still on one of the ISO movies -- I have 62 GBs free (56%) and it's sitting at 1% on the bottom of the window.
    I don't know what else to tell you -- any solutions? Are you waiting for the defrag results? What's it doing exactly?

15. niceum

niceum Member

Yeah - the Verbatims were expensive -- they're RWs too, so once I figure the problem I'm hoping I can copy them over to regular +Rs, but so far I haven't had luck doing that either. Do RWs not copy to Rs?
    I use RecordNow DX Veritas for that.
    Well, if this is going to take forever--let me know what I should look for and post -- and we can talk later.
    Thanks for your helps so far -- I hope I can figure this thing out.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

CMC MAG is one of the worst media manufactures out there. Give those away or use them to write data files to. Lookhere.http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Recommended media for vidio reproduction: Online stores: Verbatum Datalifeplus, Taiyo Yyuden. Local stores: Maxell, Fuji, Sony. Look for packages marked made in Japan.

Those fuji's you have should work ok. Slow your burn speed down to 4x or even try 2x. I wouldn't even mess with those discs made by cmc mag untill you get things going and want to play around.

17. niceum

niceum Member

I don't know if slowing the burn speed will work b/c the discs play fine on the computer.
    On Xcopy-the dics play crappy (pausing, then skipping periodically 10 seconds, before the movie resumes).
    I can't slow the burn speed on X-Copy -- it's Express-you just click Burn or Go -- its a dummies version.
    Would it have anything to do with where the file sits before being burned -- I had the folder on my desktop -- now I moved it to a created folder under C:?

DEFRAG-I guess it's done defragging. I wasn't on the computer, but the window just reset, basically. I can choose analyze or defrag. There's now way of knowing that it did actually defrag. What did the defragging do?

18. niceum

niceum Member

I will try X-Copy with the fujis, but come to think of it, I did that already and it didn't work. WTF.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

niceum,

How did that backup turn out?