1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PS2 HDD

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by IceHawk, May 2, 2005.

1. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

Can someone help me figure out how to put the PS2 HDD in my PC, when i connect it, it just freezes. I cant find jumper settings anywhere.

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

When you say freezes what do you mean were does it get to, you do know you have to take the wee jumper thing of the ps2 hdd.

3. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Yeah, take the jumper out before you hook it up to your computer, and put it back when you're done. Sony's HDD is a Maxtor BTW, to the best of my understanding.

4. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

I have the official 40GB Sony HDD, i cant find the jumper switch to set it to "SLave" When i plug the IDE in and then the power cable the computer freezes for some reason, i need to set it to "Slave" but I don no know where it is.

5. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

please reply

6. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Take the jumper out. Before you hook it to the computer. Just like i said before. We already told you. That's the setting you need for your PS2 HDD.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  7. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

Where and what is the jumper

8. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

[​IMG]

Thats a jumper and thats were they go.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  9. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

OK I have the Official PS2 HDD, i looked at the Jumper Setting in the pic, it was differant than mine. I dont know if i should put something into it or remove it(and if i should remove something, how?) that is all i wanna know. Because when i connect the IDE and Power cable from the PC windows freezes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  10. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I have the official HDD too. With the label facing up, my jumper master setting is 2nd from the left hand side as opposed to that pic where its all the way to the right.

-Turn off your computer.

-Take the jumper (the white thing in that pic)out remembering where it was (should be where i said above).

-Hook it to your computer.

-Turn your computer on. Everything should work fine now. Thats how i do it with the official PS2 HDD that i got with FFXI.

11. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

[bold]malcdogg[/bold] thank you, that is all i needed to know. I have never worked around a HDD before so i didnt know much about them. Thanks

12. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

It's cool, man. I would have helped you more earlier, but i thought you knew what the jumper was. :D But now you know, and knowing is half the battle. lol.

13. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

LOL, ok just sp i havethis right, there is two of those "white things" from the pic
    one going up and down on the first coloumn and one horizontal on the second and third coloumn. What should i take out?

14. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Got me there. I have the official HDD too, and i only have one jumper. Mine is a Sony hard disk drive 40GB, SCPH-20401, Model ST340015A. I don't know if there are different versions of the Official HDD, but mine only uses 1 jumper, and has 4 collumns as opposed to that pics 5.

If thats how yours is then take out both of those jumpers (remember where they went just in case), then connect it to your computer. The do what you need to do, turn off the computer.

When you're ready to put it in the PS2 put ONE of those jumpers in your HDD, second collumn from the left, vertically ( with label facing up like in that pic). That's how it works for me. Hope it helps.

15. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

The picture is just an example of were the jumper can be located, it was a random picture found on the internet I do not no what make it is, sorry for any confusion.

16. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I thought it was helpful. If i didn't know what a jumper was, I'd know after i saw that pic. :)

17. IceHawk

IceHawk Guest

Well i figured it out, thanks