1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX900 Running fan and changing HD

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rainbird, Jan 9, 2005.

1. rainbird

rainbird Member

Hi Folks,
    I now have the RDR 900 HX for 3 weeks and I really like it but as soon as I start VPS programming the fan runns alle the time. Not too loud but harable. Is there a chance to stop that (e.g. via firmwareupdate?).
    The second thing I wonder is of somebody tried to upgrade the HDD. Is this possible?

All answers welcome

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

No way to stop the fan, but since that unit gets hotter than your VCR, it needs lots of ventilation, so open air and lots of room apart from your other components would keep the fan from kicking on all the time. And as for a bigger drive, why would you really need one since the whole point is you can archive everything to DVD (unlike Tivo)?

3. rainbird

rainbird Member

Hmm,
    true I am able to safe away my film recordings... This question was just in case ;-)).
    But to be honest I am sure that the heat of the device has to be removed from it but why in the world is the fan running if the device is only VPS programmed and waiting for duty?

4. RobertG

RobertG Member

I've had it for two weeks and with the exception of this constant running of the fan I'm very pleased with the unit. It has full open air for ventilation and no other components around it but it still runs all the time. The manual says it is normal because of the TV Guide EPG downloads but it runs all_the_time. I'm actually surprised now when I check it and it is silent. It is not so much about the noise but the unecessary wear and tear I think is being put on the fan. I figure it will crap out sometime down the road and possibly get louder over time.