1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony says don't use 4x media.....................

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by stevejb, Nov 12, 2004.

1. stevejb

stevejb Member

Hi Gang; probably a stupid question but I'm new to this. I own a Sony DRU 510A DVD drive; all info regarding it says it's a 4X writer. From the start I've been using DVD-R 4X media - Ritek mostly. I just checked Sony's sight for a firmware upgrade and titled in red ink there's a note: '4X dvd-rw media not compatible for recording w/your drive. please use compatible 1X or 2X dvd-rw media only'.
    Does that mean 4X dvd-r also ?? That's all I've used and if so, why are they saying that about a supposed 4X drive ?
    Also, could that contribute to the occassional freezing and audio glitches I've been getting in some of my copies?
    I don't know if this makes sense but I'm confused. Any suggestions thrown my way would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steve.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

moved to dvd drives

3. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

think you will find it only referes to the new 4x dvd-rw discs not the -r discs, there was a simular warning on the pioneer web site about not using the new 4x dvdrw discs in some of there older writers so i wouldn't worry to much about it