1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SXRD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by richymac, Apr 8, 2006.

1. richymac

richymac Guest

My Two week old SXRD is hooked to my cable company dvr which is hoe I get the HD video. Here's my problem. Two days ago the TV started to blink. The picture would go black for about a tenth of a second than the picture would come back for a few seconds and than "blink". I checked to make sure all cabels were tight. I was set for cabel repair to check out the dvr box today but the blinking stopped. I cxled the repair service, but was wondering if anyone has had this problem.

By the way thsi is the best tv I have ever seen. I am 1000% happy I purchased this set. I would just like to have an ides what caused this "blinking"
    AS usual thanks in advance for any help or info.

2. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

glad to hear your 1000% happy with your set because i'm looking into getting the fifty or sixty inch sxrd myself. i'm just not sure if i want to spend the extra grand or two when i can get a fourty two inch wega that is only at best 1080i or 720p or 740 or whatever the numbers are i forget

3. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Another thing could be that maybe the Lamp on the T.V. isn't properly installed.During shipping alot of times they are rough and sometimes things go bad.You have to be very careful with those lamps as they are very sensative.

4. gus738

gus738 Guest

@brandonb

crt tube do show over 720p... and crt tube are the best possible tv quality.... regardless of plasma or what ever everyone says ... *(plasmas with time wil be best choice and they be called sed)*

and i saw the sxrd and i must say these are far the best plasma i'v seen

anoter tip . try to get things only from costco :p .... they have LIFETIME FULL CASH RETURN POLICY. on everything.. say you buy a crt tube ( if you find any ) you pay 1200 and you get bored of it in 3 years... return it no questions asked and you get your cash back . not store credit or exchange... cash ... its a warranty from them on their entire store . doesnt matter if you get bored of it or it breaks or w/e.... thats whre i got my 360 ... hehehe

KD-34XBR960 here is some specs

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR960/4505-6481_7-30787600.html

CNET editors' review
    Editors' rating
    Excellent
    out of 10Reviewed by:
    Kevin Miller
    Review date: 8/26/04
    Release date: 7/15/04
    Average user rating: 8.1
    See all user ratings

The good: Highest resolution of any consumer direct-view HDTV; independent memory per input; excellent color decoding.

The bad: Bulky tube form factor.

The bottom line: This is the reference standard for picture quality among direct-view HDTVs and happens to be a great value.
    Sony KD 34XBR970

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR970_TV_34/4505-6481_7-316923...

so i think the 960 is better

but i just thought i put up a line for brandonb

5. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Direct view CRT's may be a good choice if you don't want anything larger than 36 - 38 inches diagonal.

Otherwise the SONY SXRD totally blows away everything so far. You can't go wrong with either the 50 or 60 inch model.

6. gus738

gus738 Guest

i totaly agree what you just said.... dblbogey7

as long as that plasma does not suffer like usual ones

7. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

8. gus738

gus738 Guest

i know i know its based on silicon thats why it looks good compared to regular plasma... i say plasma because they are slim....

yep your right this is the next gen which is like the sed tech... its tech looks like crt tube tech but not crt tube just next level...

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its noe exclusinve to sony. The SXRD tech is based on LCoS technology. They just added two more panels and got rid of the color wheel. JVC's HD-ila is the same thing.

SED is the next big thing in TV!
    Ced

10. gus738

gus738 Guest

YEP im waiting for SED meanwhile i keep my crt tube. its the best quality as it gets for the current tech

11. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Ced:
    If SXRD is not exclusive to Sony then how come I don't see any SXRD sets from Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic etc? You bet that if someone else came out with an SXRD set then SONY will be on top of them with a copyright lawsuit. That is unless they license the technology to other manufacturers.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats not what I ment. Of course the SXRD is exclusive to Sony since it is a tradmark. What I ment was, SXRD is just a label. The technology it is based on is called LCoS (3-Chip LCoS). JVC is the only other manufacture of 3-Chip LCoS based technology to my knowlege. JVC calls their tech HD-ila, but again that is just another label.

What is LCoS?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcos

Sorry for the confussion,
    Ced

13. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

wow, i just got the email for the thread update. thanks for clearing stuff up diablos so i didn't have to.

14. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I don't want to hijack this thread but I wanted to start a KDF/KDS SXRD thread, possibly an owners thread, and this was pretty close and not used for a while. This would be the place for all of us to discuss all things related to the above mentioned sets. Hey Creaky, if you think this would be better served by starting a new thread let me know. I invite all to share what you've got...what's hooked up and how, any problems or questions, etc. Thanks in advance.

Sony KDS 60A2000
    Motorola/Comcast HDCable box
    Onkyo HTS790
    Phillips DVP 5960 upconverting DVD player
    PS2/Gamecube
    2 VCR's (My girlfriend won't go for the DVR!)

BTW I found the screen to be too big for certain games, causing me to get motion sick which I am sensitive to, damn it! They (the games) do look good though!

15. gus738

gus738 Guest

the sony KDL lcd 1080p is absolouly the best current tv for price and quality. and i used to hate lcd . oh and its true 100% of what they said about the blacks on that lcd .... check it out the sony bravia 46'' kdl 46v or soemtin lke that

16. dakewlndn

dakewlndn Member

SXRD owners, can yall state where you purchased your sets for prospective buyers like myself.

NE Problems with XBR2 models?
    Where did you purchase your sets?
    What the warranty cost are.
    Which stand is good for what model (besides the stock sony)

And other stuff you may want to mention as a owner for us buyers to ask and look out for. Thanks in advance to all you guys for your input. *BJ*

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  18. gus738

gus738 Guest

thats too bad that you didnt buy a warranty ALWAYS but warranty whenever you spent someting that cost more then warranty either that or costco

but i found a nice set ( that used to cost 3,500 dolalrs at cc for 1,800!!! woot

its a Sony 50" SXRD™ LCD Projection HDTV here is the link man what a savings for 50''+ fans that want the best in quality and for those that want perfect viewing angles then go for the sony 46'' kdl-46v2500 lcd that i just mentioned 2 post behind

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...50945/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  19. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

In a recent consumer reports article they state that rear projection units have problems with only approximately 10% of the sets. LCD and plasma have a better track record, albeit shorter. They say that they would not recommend extended warranties for LCD and plasma flat panels, and might cautiously recommend an extended warranty for a rear projection set depending on price, duration, and coverage.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  20. gus738

gus738 Guest

its just plain stupid not to buy a warranty regardless of anything . would you put your faith on ur brand new 2g tv just based on a article???? no abosolutly not i mean whats at most 500 bucks for a 5 yr warrnaty? for peace of mind

, that being said costco is the best company that offer CASH BACK REUTRN LIFETIME POLICY .....