1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SXRD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by richymac, Apr 8, 2006.

1. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

In 5 years time that brand new 2G t.v. won't be worth much. I'd much rather take that $500 and invest in an upgrade. Think about that $500 price for a 5 year warranty: that's 25% of the purchase price! The depreciation on the set is probably at least 30-40% in the first year anyway. In fact, my set has gone down almost 20% in price in just the past 2 months. In my opinion, unless it's a steal, the extended warranty just doesn't make economic sense.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. gus738

gus738 Guest

ok so lets say you didnt went for it and it just died 1 yr with 3 months then what happens OH MY GOD my tv just died 2gs just therie cuz the repair well cost atlest 300 or 500 so then hmmm yes atfirst 500 just a waste naa just takes some cash to INSURE IT in CASE someting goes wrong with it , .

and yes everything looses value but if you were to buy a tv now days on costco then your cost will never be lost due to return cash regardless of years with it working conditions or not , but back to warrnaty 9 out of 1 is better chances to buy a unit then not to just cuz of cost ,

theirs so many little things that can mess a 2plus tv up anything from simple as a power damage to a complete brain modlue damge

ita a no brainer to extend the warranty its like the ps3 you spending 600 dollars on target and your going to take your chances owning a 600 thing that can break any time? heck no u'd buy a warranty ( even tho target would still be a bad place to buy)

but it all concludes that mostly anyone would take their chances on a bit of cost on its long term peace of mind...

i have a 38'' widescreen that i purchased 4 or more years ago and i bought the warranty and tv costd me 2 gs and noting has been wrong with it but all sudden someting can just happen 2morrow and hey w/e cost of warranty for a new tv its defianly worth it i mean say it cost 500 then those 500 more gets you a tv that costed the value of what you paid for ur old tv set.... its a no brainer in the end

old tv cost 3 gs + 500 warranty = broken 3gs tv = 500 deductable towards a new creidt of 3 gs for a tv or a greather value you just pay diffrense omg that a good thing.

u know what i mean?

3. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

BTW can you provide a link to the costco return policy. If you can indeed get your money back, with no time limit, then I will certainly make all electronics purchases at costco.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

5. gus738

gus738 Guest

i can assure you 100% its true go to your local costco and ask them about their "RETURN POLICY"
    and pretty much what it is is that you can an item ( everytin cept pc/notbook) carries a lifetime warranty with costco ... so in 3 yrs you get bored of the tv or it breaks down just go to the local costco and get your cash back ovoiusly they'll ask do you want cash or credit and well it wouldnt matter as since your buying a tv from them again...

howver if ppl keep on abusing this then costco will remove this as they did on the pc/latop

as for proof well visit this page , its not only a nice tv costco offers but read the part where it says about return

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...16&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

here ill quote it
    and it used to have more detailed info but im running late so just ask your local costco U WONT BE SORRY and btw that is a nice set probly the clsoes in quality to a crt tube ( crt tube are best in pq )

sorry that link is hardly any useful...

6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Thanks. I'll check it out. I just bought a new set but I'll keep it in mind for future purchases.

7. gus738

gus738 Guest

what tv did you end up buying and on circuit city?

8. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I got the Sony KDS 60A2000 from Vanns.com.

9. gus738

gus738 Guest

an online website ? lol seriously consider going to costco asap this unit i just mentioend sony bravia 46'' kdl-46v2500 is the best btw the sony 50'' sxrd on circuit city cost 1,800 bucks!!! check the website for the other sxrd they have huge saving deals... but i'd stil say go check out that tv

at this point even costco is a better bet vs an online store am not i right?

10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I actually prefer to purchase online. My reasons are that often you can find excellent prices at reputable dealers (you'd be hard pressed to find any customer service better than Crutchfield). Usually there is no tax and often free shipping. The set I bought is a current model year KDS not KDF, and the absolute best price right now on this set can be found on Amazon.com with free shipping and no tax (if only I'd waited 6 more weeks! LOL).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  11. gus738

gus738 Guest

well how much did you spent?

12. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

$2700 6weeks ago with free shipping and no tax, which was the lowest price at the time. It sure stings now though!

13. gus738

gus738 Guest

14. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

As I mentioned before it's only $2200 at Amazon right now. The warranty coverage is provided by the manufacturer which is in home. I did have an asthetic problem with the pic after a couple of weeks and Vann's arranged free pickup and return of my set and delivered me a brand new set, also free. No questions asked. That was, I am assuming, because it was less than 30 days old. However they were very gracious and accomodating. From here-on-out I deal with Sony for the remainder of the warranty, which is 1 year parts and labor, 2 years on the optical block.

15. gus738

gus738 Guest

so then your taking your chances on factory warranty wow good luck dude cuz i know i woudlnt take my chances not even on a 300 xbox or a 500 tv lol later

16. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

100% agree. That is... until OLED makes SED look bad... 4K video streams? Awesome...

17. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I got mine at Circuit City. They threw in a free 5 year plan on top of the sony 1 year. Nice price as well.. I paid a little over $2900 for it. I don't deal with online vendors so I am still happy with this price and this TV.

18. gus738

gus738 Guest

oled has issues on the blues and is targed for small screens ( cell phones and such ) theirs noting better then sed tv

crt tube is best quality and ppl want bigger size and style and weightles so what you get ? a flat panel

so what sed is its the best from both worlds crt tube technology and picture quality of course plus thiness and bigger size
    since the gun is elimnated on the sed then they are ABLE to push the qualiy ONCE MORE ahead a beyond ..... sed is the highest

19. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

BTW, the 60 A2000 is an excellent example of why I do not purchase extended warranties for this type of product. This set has been on the market for LESS than 6 months (just released as a new model in June '06). The set was $3500 at it's release and can now be found for $2200. That equates to 37% depreciation in less than 6 months. I am not saying that an extended warranty is a terrible purchase, particularly if it gives you peace of mind. It is simply my opinion that it does not make economical sense for me to buy into one of the biggest moneymakers for the retailers.

20. gus738

gus738 Guest

well your right and wrong but mostly wrong .... ok price dropping affects warranty cost ? yes thats the only right you got correct
    money making for retailers? no why? simple again you rather spent more then 500 bucks again for a new tv when the 500 could of get you a replacement tv of same value that you paid for ?

and another thing is oviously everything lowers in price because compeition is hard thus the reason why you see a sudden jump on price point.

put it like this you spend 2,600 even and i spend 3000 even wit 5 yr from circuit city , my unit lowerd price less then 3 months ^EX ok thats fine noting we can do about it , but in 4 yrs my unit suddenly gets dead pixels or w/e circuit city comes to me repairs it ( i can just say its not fixed) then they issue me a credit for what i paid 3 gs and i get a new tv thats 3 gs which in 4 yrs alot has inproved , now lets say yours its stil running nice great! but all sudden it dies durring 5th yr ( it should earlier ) your done with your 2600 while i still have the warranty running i can renewl if i want to or not and im ok with my price going evenly smooth. somting like this man but you know what i mean its always best with warranty regarless if price point changes or not you just get "peace of mind"