1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vaio DVD playback failure

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by egilkison, Mar 5, 2005.

1. egilkison

egilkison Member

My brother in law has an antiquated Sony Vaio 650 mhz PCG-F807K which he relies on while in collage. For the last 4 months he has been experiancing problems while attempting to play DVD’s. The problem appears to have come up suddenly, and apparently all on its own. No relevant changes have been made to the system immediately before the DVD problem. He was using a DVD region free patch of unknown origin as it was deleted recently. Does anyone have any ideas other than having the DVD and read head cleaned? He says that even when he loads a DVD-RW the system acts like there is nothing there.

Thanks.

2. DBarron

DBarron Member

Hi Do not know if you have checked the obvious but when this happens with any cd/dvd player I have it is usually the head needs cleaning a blow may clear this else take cover off and either blow head or drag the corner of a tissue over not to brutal tho
    HTH
    Dave

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a cd/dvd disk cleaner instead of taking drive apart to clean the lens

4. egilkison

egilkison Member

Hmm. Well he took his laptop to a Teche nad had it cleaned and still no go. In the last month ive been looking into this as it seems as though this is not an isolated event. I have found many threads about such failures and not one that I have found has a solution. Its beginning to look as though its time for my brother in law to to dump his sony and get into another machine. I will continue to watch this thread in case someone else has had the same problem with Sony Viao and has found a remedy. Thanks for your help though guys...
    eg