1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vaio Laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Oakley28, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

Hey

Im looking at gettin a vaio and want it to have the following items:

Intel Core Duo 2 Processor
    Built In Wireless
    Built In Bluetooth
    Minimum 1Gb RAM
    Massive HDD
    Good Graphics Card

Does anyone knowmych about vaios and could reccommend one to me ... im looking to spend in the region of 800 maybe at bit more

any help would be great

cheers

2. colw

colw Active member

ever heard of Google or Sony website and doing your own research?

3. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

yeah course i have captain sarcasm ... and have found a load, but like i said dont know much about them and which ones are the best

if you ainnt got anything constructive to say .. dont say anything

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I have a Sony VAIO laptop and a desktop. Both are 4-5 years old and never had a problem with either. The only thing I have done was to add/update some new burners to the desktop.

I think you will find Sony a very reliable system. You will pay for the name though, so the 800 figure probably is somewhat low for the specs you listed.

As far as models to recommend, I don't have any since models numbers change with the slight spec variations.

When I get ready to buy again, I will probably shop around because I believe you can get more bang for the buck with HP's and other models, but I would not rule out buying another Sony if they are price competitive.

Hope this helps...

5. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

yeah my mate said get a hp cuz he said i could get the same spec in a hp for alot cheaper than a vaio.

Would you recommend HP's?

6. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Before I had my Sony laptop and desktop, I had a HP (desktop) and again I had no problem with it. So I would not hestitate to recommend HP as I would seriously consider buying one when I get ready to buy another system. I hear Toshiba is a good laptop, though, but I have never owned one.

Like I said Sonys are fine systems but they are pricey.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

ive got a sony viao VGN-SZ390P i've only had it for a few months but its been working out great for me. its small enough that it can fit on the table arms in the lecture halls and its got enough power to run most things however i forget the price of it and i also may have changed i think its a bit more then 800 though. it may start at like 1200 but its deff worth a look

8. Oakley28

Oakley28 Regular member

9. kitten4u

kitten4u Guest

I have heard good and bad things with Sony Vaio's. Some are experiencing Operating System not found on laptops a few have said it could be the hard drive coming unattached (a mobile thing?) or after it shuts off or goes into hibernation on its own.
    Myself, I have had an Acer laptop for 6 years now and have not had any problems with it and I have used and abused it. The only upgrading I have done is to upgrade the OS and new batteries (#3) in this time frame. But when it comes to desktop computers, I use Dell.
    I would look into a reputable auction vendor with good scores in either Ebay or at auctions.overstock.com.

10. Ssaalbac

Ssaalbac Member

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE DO NOT BUY A SONY LAPTOP!!!

I have a lot fo experience with computers, and in fact have built a number of desktops as well as laptops from scratch. About a year and a half ago I received a Sony VGN-FS640 Notebook as a replacement for a Toshiba laptop that I had which turned out to be a lemon. At first I was very pleased with the performance I got out of the computer, and was fascinated at the crystal clear widescreen LED display it had. NEEDLESS TO SAY, within ONE MONTH of owning the computer the LED Display burnt out. After replacing the screen it was just one problem after the next...see below:

NOTE: SONY SUPPORT IS AWFUL, SLOW, USUALLY THEIR RESPONSES ARE COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO THE PROBLEM.

Problems I Have Had:

1. LED Screen Burnt Out within ONE MONTH
    2. Sound Card Failed to play audio after a few months (was replaced, and then it failed to work again a short time after.)
    3. CD/CDRW Drive began to have trouble reading disks, and eventually died on me.
    4. Random Keys on my keyboard began to stop responding making ANY Word Processing one heck of headache.
    5. BIOS/CMOS are SOOOO LIMITED that if you ever have a problem with your operating system, or have a hardisk failure you are pretty much SOL unless you are one of those "Tech-Freaks."
    6. Tons of other little problems here and there.

With that said, if you are looking for a computer tat looks good and runs good when your checking it out at the store...than go ahead and buy a Sony. But I warn you that you will have problems down the road. Keep in mind that I have taken very good care of my laptop, and have never dropped, spilled, or damaged my laptop in any way shape or form. The problems I had were a resilt of the cheaper outsourcing, less knowledjable staff and support team, and the ignorant ways in which Sony implements in their business strategy.

If you want a reliable "Off The Shelf" PC notebook buy from either DELL, or Toshiba. They are all very well rated, and DELL offers one of the best support for their products than any other computer company out their. Thanks, and I hope this helps

-Steve