1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY VGN-FS840W

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by RiPwoodie, Nov 16, 2007.

1. RiPwoodie

RiPwoodie Member

I have a Sony VGN-BX540B Laptop with the following:

2GHz Intel Pentium M Processor 760 w/Centrino Mobile Technology, 1GB RAM, 100GB hard drive, DVD±RW(+R double layer), 10/100/1000 Ethernet, WiFi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth, 56Kbps/V.90, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, 14.1" XGA display.

The DVD+R Double Layer DVD+-RW Drive Bay Unit is marked #Sony Model VGP-DRWBX1 and is listed in the hardware devices as a #Sony DW-Q58A. It will play and burn DVD's but will not recognize any CD's[blank disk,software,musicor boot disks], it used to. Sony had me update the firmware to UFS4-2 but that did not help. I have tried to update the drivers to no avail and uninstalled the device and rebooted and it reinstalled but that did not help either. When I put a CD in the tray it acts like it wants to start and then whirls and stops over and over again-I have to use a pin in the eject hole to ope the tray as the eject will not work when it is trying to start. A DVD works OK and ejects fine.

It is about 4 months old and Sony has had me do several things,update firmware,set BIOS to default,ect but has not helped and they advise I do a complete reinstall of my system or send the computer in to them as they do not have any replacement drives of this model at the time and can't give me a date when they will be in stock, which I do not want to do. Any ideas?

quicksho

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Have you checked to see if your ASPI is corrupt? If it is you could be experiencing the problems you describe.

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

FYI, XP doesn't need ASPI to function properly but if it is installed and corrupt you will see erratic behavior such as being able to burn a DVD but not a CD or vice versa. This may or may not cure your problem, but it's worth looking into.