1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY VGN-TX670P B random shut down/freeze

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gamester0, May 29, 2014.

1. gamester0

gamester0 Member

Hi All,
    My SONY VGN-TX670P B netbook, which runs on Windows XP randomly freezes or crashes. I tried restoring to the factory mode but still problem persists. I have also installed Hard Disk Sentinel to scan for any possible HDD errors, however there seems to be no bad sectors and the Hard disk is in 100% health. What could be the possible reason. Should I upgrade to Win7/ Win 8. I have just 1 Gb Ram and the maximum it supports is 1.5GB. Would it be a problem with the hard disk or some BIOS/ motherboard issue.
    The system is too good to be discarded yet !!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in the bios for hardware monitor to see what the cpu temperature is at the next time the netbook freezes\crashes. don't go win8 & might not want to run win7 as it will run slow because of ram amount.

3. gamester0

gamester0 Member

My system also shuts down if there is any slight impact, like moving from the table to my lap or if I try connecting the LAN cable once windows has booted.

4. ddp

that is a hardware issue so even reloading windows will not fix that.

5. gamester0

gamester0 Member

Would it be solved if I change the hard drive. It seems that the computer hangs when there is a slight impact to the hard drive.

6. ddp

try it.

7. richietea

richietea Regular member

I would do the basics first.I used to have an Acer netbook with 1 Gig of ram and xp.Lockups would occur with overloading the cpu especially with online flash and java clients,opening too many windows and multiple taps/clicks in succession.Do you see a common trend IE when idle will it lockup if bringing it out of sleep/suspend? Does it happen more often through a web browser? Or too many background tasks overloading the cpu/draining the small amount of memory you have? If they are just as you say "random" acts then yes it may point to Hardware failure.As ddp said earlier try a different HDD and check the temps through the bios.Does the netbook get hot in any part of the casing? It could be just a case of defragging,closing down unwanted background tasks and removing clutter."Black viper" has a reg edit file that will safely remove unwanted windows tasks that will help speed up the system if you feel comfortable doing so(always backup).There are so many things that cause lockups software and hardware alike.Even malware and viruses.

8. gamester0

gamester0 Member

There are no viruses / malware. The computer was recently formatted. Rolling back to Vista(from Win 7), helped me successfully install most of the drivers.There are no heating issues.

9. ddp

sony doesn't even have vista drivers nevermind win7 or 8 drivers for that netbook.