1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony -vs- plextor, not sure which to buy??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by 3ways, Jan 12, 2004.

1. 3ways

3ways Guest

Had enough of my slow as hell matshita drive in my lap-top so i'am looking at purchasing an external dual format writer. The two i've narrowed it down to are the Sony DRX-530UL or the plextor PX-708UF. Does anyone know which is the better of the two? Cheers for any help.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I've only heard good things about the Plextor drives, but Sony should be good also. Go to www.dvdrhelp.com and check out the dvd writer section. Should be posts there from owners on both brands. Hope this helps.
    Jerry

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The reviews I've read have indicated that the Sony is a fair bit slower than the Plextor. The Sony should be decent, but if it were my money I'd get the Plextor, no question. I have two Plextor drives now and wouldn't replace them for anything but another Plextor - whisper quiet, outstanding build quality and great burns.

4. 3ways

3ways Guest

Cheers, i'll check out that site, heading towards the plextor i think. Will let anyone who wants to know how my choice performs.

5. jerg

jerg Member

Hey

I got the internal Plextor 708A. Its a nice drive, but certainly not without its flaws. Disc recognition is a bit slow mostly with CDRW's(time from loading disc to accessing contents). Also, you need to watch what DVD media you buy, its a little picky. Other than that, I would recommend it. With the news of the Pioneer A06 writing dual-layer with only a firmware upgrade, the Plextor might just write dual-layer as well.

6. jerg

jerg Member

Hey

I got the internal Plextor 708A. Its a nice drive, but certainly not without its flaws. Disc recognition is a bit slow mostly with CDRW's(time from loading disc to accessing contents). Also, you need to watch what DVD media you buy, its a little picky. Other than that, I would recommend it. With the news of the Pioneer A06 writing dual-layer with only a firmware upgrade, the Plextor might just write dual-layer as well.