1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vs Sony: HDR-FX1 or DCR-VX2100?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Coratian, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Coratian

Coratian Member

I am thinking about buying a camcorder for semiprofessional use. I have two favorites mentioned in the subject title. Surely High Definition is attractive. But currently it lacks FCP support. Besides, cutting-edge technology often finds itself islolated from the majority who still use mainstream products. So if I buy the FX1 I will probably always switch to NTSC and can't really go HD, since most of my potential clients do not need it. With this consideration in mind, VX2100 seems to be a reasonable choice. Cheaper and practical. But at the bottom of my heart I really want the FX1. But then again, it is expensive and going HD will simply be for pleasure rather than for business. So, what do you think?

2. ZombyHero

ZombyHero Member

If your end product won't be HD, then I'd forget the FX-1. Its a pretty impressive camera, but the HD is simply a feature you won't need. Also, when shooting HD on that camera, it compresses the audio to mpeg1, resulting in some quality loss.

You'll probably get the same optical quality with the VX2100, just not the HD resolution.

BTW, there is FCP support in FCP HD, unless the FX1 uses some kind of encoding that FCP can't handle.