1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony - will they shop me for having a mod chip?!

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Greggers, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Greggers

Greggers Member

Evening all...I've read pretty much all there is to read on Disk Read Errors, and I've decided that the problem with my two bust PS2s is either the laser guide arm or the laser itself.

I've read on many forums that Sony UK quite often take your broken PS2 & fix it for free (aside from courier costs) as the DRE is such a well known problem. Both my PS2s have Messiah 3s though - should I avoid contacting Sony does anyone know, pls?

Otherwise, I think I'll just buy a laser guide arm & give that a bash. And if not that, then it'll be time to try a new laser...wanna avoid this if poss though, obviously.

Thanks a lot,
    greg

2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Don't think they'll 'shop' you, as I believe mod-chips have only recently become illegal, so they wont be able to prove wether you had the mod chip fitted before or after the law changed. However, I would imagine they would probably refuse to repair it.
    Could you remove the chip?

3. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

the warranty seal is broken if you installed a mod chip, so they wont touch it.

4. CDAF82

CDAF82 Member

Actually my warrenty seal was broken and they fixed it. It wasn't broken because I installed a modchip, it was broken because I was in there cleaning the lense. They even sent a paid postage stamp to send the PS2 to them. Everything was free. However I don't know about the modchip though.

5. Stanleejt

Stanleejt Guest

do you know if they will fix it free in the US or only in the UK?

6. Greggers

Greggers Member

Thanks for the help...I think I may give that a swerve then.

I've messed about with the angle of the laser & that's not done jack...does anyone have any opinions on which is the most likely cause of the grinding noises pls?

I can't imagine it's the laser that's screwed (why would that click & whirr?), so I'm thinking to try changing the arm first...