1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony won't play, but cheapo will

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kpduncan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. kpduncan

kpduncan Guest

Many of my first attempts to decrypt (Older movies) were successful and played with no problem on my Sony DVD player. My later attempts, however, (newer movies) will not play on my SONY, but will play on the $29 Symphonics DVD player in my daughters room. What is up with that?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

It could be the Sony doesn't like the discs you're using. I've found that the more expensive the player is, the more finicky it is. A friend's $600 Denon player won't play all the way through a burned dvd.
    Hard to say just what it is with your Sony.....
    Good luck!

3. kpduncan

kpduncan Guest

Thank you JVC
    I appreciate your response.

FYI...the two types of discs used so far are verbatim and memorex. The verbatim disc was burned at max speed (16x give or take) and the memorex disc was burned at min speed (4x). No difference in the end result.
    Do you have any opinion about why the older movies play fine,(In SONY) but the newer ones do not? The older movies, my first three burns, were all on verbatim discs just like the newer problem discs.
    I have followed this routine with all discs.
    I decrypt with DVDFab HD.......(Holy smokes, can I say that?)
    I follow up with a run through FixVTS
    and lastly a trip through Shrink.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Try this, after fixvts, use shrink to compress and output files into iso format. Then burn with imgburn( free at imgburn.com). Burn at 4x on verbatim or taiyo yuden discs. Everyone is correct, the more expensive standalone dvd players are more finicky than the el cheapo players.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

I have no idea why the old movies played, and the new one's didn't. Especially since they were on the same kind of discs, and burned the same way. Try what iluvendo suggested.

Are you using +R or -R discs? If you're using -R, try +R (if your burner will burn them). Also with +R discs, it's better to booktype them to DVD Rom. Store bought movies are booktyped to DVD Rom. That's why they play in almost everything. Here's some info on booktyping:
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    Good luck!