1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by woody_223, Nov 24, 2004.

1. woody_223

woody_223 Member

got my sony hc30 recently
    shot some video with my remote head cam, now is the first itme to convert to pc to dvd

capture over with pinacle 9

upon testing on pc full screen it appears a little blocky
    the quality is not quite what i expected for the money

it is perfecty watchable but i was expecting a real sharp clean picture

the quality is the same shot indipendantly with camcorder

i realise the edges might block a bit as it is digilally stepped whereas anologue is infinate but i just expected a litte more, or am i doing somthing wrong

just worried that the quality will reduce even further when compressed

2. invert

invert Member

hey can you send me your video file, I'd like to see how it looks (looking to buy this same camera too!)
    msn: raceface89[at]hotmail.com

3. woody_223

woody_223 Member

will see if i can get a snipit
    but at full quality i think your looking a 3meg a second so might be a bit hard to send

i researched a bit more and now i look at it i realise all digitals are a little like this

i was looking on that celebrity get me out of here program and you can tell wich are the digital cameras as there is a slight squaring of the pixels, and im sure they dont use cheap cameras

got myself a really good helmet camera now so i can use it for my dirt bikeing
    also got the npfp90 battery that last for 7hrs £25 on ebay

cheers for now

4. invert

invert Member

wow dude it rocks I do mtb also, more urban/park hehe, do you have msn ?

5. sr5

sr5 Guest

I know what you mean woody I just got a sony hc 20 and thought the quality would of been sharper with this day in age of technology...but found it just a step up from my digital camera with dv recording...

6. woody_223

woody_223 Member

woods_noel@hotmail.com
    add me to msn if you like

seems strange that the digital recording is worse than the anologue
    but then i guess you pay fo that by digitising everything
    i can understand the theory why, but i just guesed that they would have sorted it

computer shows it up worse though, especially as i have a flatscreen
    time i get it to the tv it should be a lot better

thanks for the info guys

7. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Just out of curiousity, what transfer method are you using-usb or firewire ? My Sony transfer was very poor under usb, but is crystal clear with firewire, something to bear in mind.

Dene

8. woody_223

woody_223 Member

mine is with fire wire
    the picture is very clear but the edges are a little pixelated
    im just being picky really but for what these cost i expected not to have to pick

9. woody_223

woody_223 Member

can you change the size of capture as in screen size

when mine previews on a small screen it is lovely and clear but when i play full screen i get horizontal banding wich is quite visable and everything loses it clarity

semms as though if i could capture at 1024 x 768, the same as my screen it would be perfect

im using pinnacle studio 9 but ill try anything if anybody can recomend anything

10. beaters

beaters Member

Part of your problem may be that you have a low end, 1/6 CCD camera. The native resolution in those is about 300 KB/frame IIRC. I believe that's roughly VCD quality. To get a substantial improvement you need to get the next increment up in CCD, a 1/5 or even a 1/3.6. See specs on the HC65 & HC 85 at the Sony site for example. Unfortunately this neans spending about probably twice what the HC30 costs.

Remember that getting the exposure right counts for a lot, and steadyiong your shot with a tripod will help image quality some, too.

11. sr5

sr5 Guest

hey woody, I just started using pinnacle 9, and when I burned to disc and tried playing in my dvd player it was all choppy and slow and full of pausing. Do you have any idea what happened. Do you think that maybe because I was multi-tasking the same time the burning process was taking place. I was downloading and running other programs when burning.