1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony's Blu-Ray May Be History

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DogBomb, Dec 8, 2004.

1. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Looks like it's going to be HD-Video.

New DVD Has Dual-Layered Surface

Wed Dec 8, 7:51 AM ET Technology - AP

TOKYO - Two Japanese companies said Tuesday they have developed a DVD that can play on both existing machines and the upcoming high-definition players, raising hopes for a smooth transition as more people dump old TV sets for better screens.

Toshiba Corp. and Memory-Tech Corp. said their disc has a dual-layered surface that can store both types of data on the same side.

For consumers, that would eliminate the potential headache of having to own two types of DVD players: Both will be able to read such discs, though only the newer equipment can take advantage of the higher-resolution technology.

The discs, which took six months to develop, will be able to hold 4.7 GB in the current format and 15 GB in high resolution, Memory-Tech spokesman Masato Otsuka said.

Making the discs won't cost any more than the companies now spend on producing current DVDs, Otsuka said.

The new DVDs rely on the HD-DVD format, which has the backing of the DVD Forum, an international association of electronics makers and movie studios. New DVD players using the format are expected to hit stores by late 2005.

Its competitor, Blu-Ray, is backed by Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites)., its Hollywood studio and News Corp.'s Fox Entertainment Group Inc. Blu-Ray has more storage space, but HD-DVD is expected to be cheaper to produce because its technology closely resembles current DVDs.

It's still unclear which will become the dominant technology.

2. teggy

teggy Regular member

Blu-Ray is the format for PS3 is it not?

3. Soulreave

Soulreave Member

blue-ray is ps3 :)

4. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I've been looking at the specs for HD-DVD (aka AOD), dual layer with 15Gb per layer. BUT the increased density is produced by using improved codecs and a blue laser, these layers will only be readable by new HD-DVD equipment. The manufacturers are claiming backward compatibility with present DVD players, so it looks like one 4.5Gb standard DVD layer and one 15Gb HD-DVD layer. Most current DVD movies take about 6-7Gb of space on a DVD, so it looks as though the movie on the "standard" DVD layer of a HD-DVD will have to have higher levels of MGPEG2 compression than is current used. Rather like those nasty copies of present day dual layer movies made with programs like DVDShrink so that they will fit on a 4.5Gb DVD-R, you know, the ones the movie industry keep telling us not accept because of their inferior quality..................

As for HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray needs completely new production lines and players, HD-DVD uses the existing ones and manufacturers calculate only a 10% cost increase over DVD. Recently a manufacturer demonstrated a standard production line turning HD-DVDs at one per 3.5 sec, the line was halted, the stampers changed, and 5min later the same line was turning standard DVDs at one per 3sec. Call me psychic, but I think I can see which format is going to win.

5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

blu-ray owns this "hd-video", the max it can hold is 30gb on dual layer, whereas the blu-ray can hold 50gb as standard, possibly 100gb dual layer...

6. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Blu-Ray does have capacity edge over HD-DVD, but if there is no noticable difference between a 2hr movie compressed to 15Gb and the same movie compressed to 25Gb, then the success of the format will depend upon other factors. Costs are heavily in favour of HD-DVD both in production (only 10% more than DVD on existing production lines), and the fact that only one disk need be made and stocked for both HD-DVD players PLUS the huge installed base of standard DVD players.

If you remember the VHS/Beta war, it was not quality that decided the winner then.

7. pirkster

pirkster Member

And isn't it ironic that it was Sony who lost that battle, too.

I agree (and I'm no psychic, either) - unless Sony can leverage themselves with the Blu-Ray market "footprint" the PS3 will provide them, history may repeat itself.

8. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Here's an interesting thought. Say Sony are pre-empted by the speed and low cost at which HD-DVD can be brought in to mass production and the Blu-Ray format is marginalised, this would mean very little support for Blu-Ray R/RW media or burners. They could end up with a most effective anti-copy feature for PS3 games ;o)

Oh, by the way, the Blu-Ray spec is currently 25Gb per layer, 50Gb would be a dual layer disk (HD-DVD 15/30Gb).

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Thats all true but these days anything backed by sony is a winner, the ps2 is argubly worse than the x-box in many genres....

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I was about to say anything backed by Sony is a loser. ;) The reason why is because they try want to develop proprietary products and live off the royalties from licensing it. The mini-disc player? Memory Stick? SACD? I know there's alot I'm missing - a graveyard filled of dead Sony technologies - but I've been drinking heavily this year and I've lost alot of brain cells so I can't remember them. ;)
    Anyway, the reason why I think HD-Video will beat out Blu-ray is that those HD-Video discs will be playable in regular DVD players so people can build on their existing DVD collections. Who the heck is going to add yet another player just to play Blu-ray discs? No one is going to dump their DVD collection after investing hundreds if not thousands of dollars in building it.

11. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I've been thinking how the new formats would wriggle into my existence:-

HD-DVD

HD-DVD players come out costing mega, buy? No way!
    Presently buying DVD videos, the new ones will have DVD and HD-DVD, I'll buy these anyway for their DVD content even though I don't have an HD-DVD player. A year down the line and prices fall to reasonable levels as the two formats cut-throat each other, I buy an HDTV, time to buy a player, but which type? I take a look at my extensive HD-DVD/DVD disk collection and another at my nonexistent Blu-Ray disks - it's a no-brainer.

Blu-Ray

Players come out costing mega, buy? no way! LOOP TO "Presently buying" above.

If the HD-DVD manufacturers clue into the DVD/HD-DVD disk angle they will win by stealth, I have to say I hope they do. I share Dogbomb's contempt for Sony's manipulative proprietary standards, with a memory stick for my Sony digicam costing far more than the equivalent CF card, Sony are hardly trying to be competitive.

My contribution to the SONY DODO hall of fame :- the Elcassette.