1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony's new dual layer Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DIGMESUKA, May 27, 2004.

1. DIGMESUKA

DIGMESUKA Member

Is it true that you can now buy a dual layer DVD burner from Sony. Give me details.

2. Denzien

Denzien Regular member

I have it - the DRU-700A. Just bought it at Best Buy last Sunday for $150. ($199.99 - $50 rebate)

It can record onto Dual Layer 8+GB DVD+R_DL discs at 2.4X Maximum Speed.

It only supports DVD+R_DL discs, which are due out in the next week or two (but Firmware will let it Burn to other DL formats, if and when they are available). Verbatim will have the first DVD+R_DL discs out.

(It also records DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW at up to 8X and CD-R/RW at up to 40X)

(No DVD-RAM support except READ, aww SHUCKS! lol)

When I get ahold of a DVD+R_DL disc, I will try to do a direct, non-compressed Backup of a Dual Layer DVD I have (Probably one of the Lord of the Rings DVDs) and let you know the results! The Burner Comes with Nero 6 Suite, which has the option for 4+gb discs and the 8+gb discs(DL)Burning. So I will use just DVD Decrypter to rip the files to the HDD and then I will copy directly to the DVD without any editing to see how it works.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]DeeVeeDee[/small]

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  3. winnebago

winnebago Member

I bought from Best Buy but it was online. I did not see a rebate form. Can I ask where you got the $50 rebate, Denzien?

TIA!

Last edited: May 29, 2004