1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sopranos backed up on 2 DVDRs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mack58, Sep 23, 2002.

1. mack58

mack58 Member

There are some good guides and posts that helped me but I felt the need to post the specifics to Sopranos. I have finished the first two DVD9s from Season 1 (S1V1 and S1V2). The other seasons may be different but I suspect the experience of doing Episode 1 will teach you enough to complete the others even if they're different.

1. Rip to HDD using FILE Mode. Check ALL FILES. I used Smart Ripper.

2. Setup two destination directories one for each DVDR. As usual use a subdirectory call VIDEO_TS.

The first will contain the fist two episodes (PGC 1 and 2). The second will contain the last two episodes (PGC 3 and 4) from the source DVD. You will use IfoEdit to Strip VOB IDs twice for each source DVD. Once for each destination DVDR.

3. Use IfoEdit to "STRIP VOBIDs". View list of PGCs to know which ones to "KEEP". Here's what was on S1 Volumes 1 and 2:

PGC1 = Title 1 (Episode1) = Uses VOBIDs 1, 5
    PGC2 = Title 2 = Uses VOBIDs 3, 5
    PGC3 = VOBIDs 2, 5
    PGC4 = VOBIDs 4, 5

When creating DVDR1 (first two episodes) KEEP VOBIDs 1, 3 and 5.

When creating DVDR2 (second two episodes) KEEP VOBIDs 2, 4, 5

NOTE: I could not use "Split to two DVDR" because The Episodes aren't on sepatate VOBs. The VOBs must be split. Each time I tried to use the Split function My first destination directory had all the VOBs of the source and the second had none.

3. Copy necessary files to each destination directory. In this case:
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_TS.IFO
    VTS_TS.VOB
    VTS_TS.BUP

4. Use IfoEdit to "Get VTS Sectors" as explained in many messages and guides.

Close IfoEdit

5. Use IfoEdit to open VIDEO_TS.ifo and run "Region Free" if desired. Remember to save. See other guides.

Close IfoEdit

6. Test your new composition with the IfoEdit player. Don't use PowerDVD as I did. PowerDVD will play things that won't play anywhere else.

7. Burn with nero or whatever. Plenty of info is available to explain how.

8. Test your final disk in your set top or Windows Media player.

Tips on searching for other guides: The sopranos won't fit on one Disk even if you strip off all extras. 4 episodes are over 3 hours long. Just look for guides that explain simple DVD to DVDR transfer. Don't try converting to .avi or mpeg. Also don't try to use IfoEdit Split feature.

I know this is not new info but I wanted to share the specifics of Sopranos because it took me so long to figure it out.

Everything works great, menus, extras, chapter skipping etc. If you try to play an episode that's not on the disk you'll be returned to the episode menu. No lockups.

Enjoy

Mack

2. d0qtrX

d0qtrX Member

you're gonna need to use smartripper ot dvddecrypters ifo parsing and rip each episode to a vob file.

Then somehow you need to create new IFOs.

3. KjbAlto

KjbAlto Member

I did the steps you put down but you mixed it up. I ended up having the first and third show on one side and the second and fourth on the other side of the dvd. I don't have my paper in front of me so I don't know which vob's I chose to strip for this dvd at the end but I can tell you which ones I stripped for the first season disc 4. I put vob id's 1, 2, and 4 on one side of a dvd-r and stripped the rest. Then put 1, 3, and 5 on the other side and stripped the rest. This process gave me the menu on both sides and 1 side and the first two shows and the other side had the second two shows on it. Works perfect.

4. paul_650

paul_650 Member

My first DVD-R works great with VOBIDs 1, 3, 5.

But when I tried to use IfoEdit to strip VOBIDs 2, 4, 5, I got the following error message:

VOB file is unvalid
    It desn't start with a Nav-Pack
    Abort operation to avoid crash

Any ideas? How to get around this?

Thanks in advance!