1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sopranos DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by x_caliber, Feb 20, 2005.

1. x_caliber

x_caliber Member

ok ive been having troubles burning sopranos dvds lately but ive gotten most of them fixed....this one has really stumped me....im trying to copy disc 2 of season 4 and for some reason i can get it compressed but i have an error everytime i try to burn it back to dvd....dvd shrink wont compress it enough so i was using xcopy 4.o to compress but it would come up with an error that a file was missing after i would put the blank disc in. so i take the video_ts files and burn them through nero. for some reason nero says the files are just barely too big to burn to a single dvd...but when i check the file size it is only 4.4gig.....any suggestions of how i can get these compressed files to burn back to dvd?

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I just used dvd decrypter, and backed up to hard drive then used shrink and decrypter to burn. Had no problems, are you sure you do not have bad soprano disk?

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, you can only fit 4.38 gigs on a DVD5. It can be confusing, since they're listed as being 4.7 gigs, but its just a matter of the way the size is tabulated. But about your question, I backed up that disk using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, and had no problems. When you go to shrink it using DVD Shrink, try removing the foreign language subtitle's and audio track, as well as the english audio track that you don't use, either the 5.1 or the 2channel track, and Shrink should be able to shrink it just fine.

4. viddy

viddy Member

I have had many problems backing up my Sopranos sets. Most recently, I was able to rip Season 3, disc 1 with DVDD, but Shrink could not encode it, getting hung up on the first analysis and generating a missing file error. The HDD version of the DVD plays flawlessly. I'm new to this, but I think that the Sopranos sets have some copy protect device that oftentimes isn't picked up by DVD43, Decrypter, et al. Anyone else?

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have backed up all four seasons of the Sopranos using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and have had no problems other than 1 disk which was scratched and gave me a crc error, I returned that and had no problem afterward. The only problem is that so much compression is needed because of the length and menu but I did deep analysis and burned them slow 2x.

6. viddy

viddy Member

Arniebear, good to hear that DVDD and DVDSK got the job done. I think my problems are caused by scratched disks. I tried DVDD again with the previously unsucessful source disk. This time I used a brand new DVD drive, which seemed to help, because I was able to generate the HDD files with DVDD. However, when I applied DVDShrink, it couldn't get through the deep analysis without a read error and automatically aborted.

7. sadsac

sadsac Guest

@xcaliber

You say you can't get DVD shrink to shrink it enough. Are you using "deep analysis"? I remember one of my originals I backed up would go through the whole process, then give me back something like "the disk you're trying to copy to isn't large enough". I ran it back through using "deep analysis" and it worked fine.

8. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I have made backups of seasons 2,3,and 4 using shrink to compress and burn with no problem. Burning at 8x using TY's and verbatim media. All backups were clean. Just get rid of the foreign language tracks. Plenty of compresion. No problems.

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I backed up all seasons of the sopranos, with nero recode and AnyDvd,without a problem.

The question I have is, when is season 5 coming out?I need my sopranos fix real bad....im jonesing here LOL

10. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

No dought, by the time those guys get to the 5th they will all be in the geriatric ward.

11. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

"Tony enters the Bada Bing, laboriously pushes his walker down the aisle, drool slowly moving down his chin. The aged dancer moves about in her wheelchair next to bar on the dance stage....."

The new Sopranos script.....

12. cmoney

cmoney Guest

Well I just finished all 4 seasons of the sopranos with DVD shrink and Nero no problems.

Also waiting on season 5.lol

13. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

awwwww man bilbo65,why did you spoil the story for us LOL

14. cimerron

cimerron Guest

I had the same problem. I had to take off the starting and ending credits on all four episodes. I used decrypter and shrink.

15. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

When it comes to backing up TV shows (episodics) I suggest spending a little money and getting the CloneDVD2 (by Elby) and AnyDVD (by Slysoft) combination. It makes easy work of TV show authoring techniques.

Best regards
    Whisperer

16. skafes

skafes Member

I had the same problem with season 4 disk 2 and disc 4; says the file file is too; but recently I got a duel layer drive. Haven't tried copying it yet

17. irrobali

irrobali Member

I'm having a problem with burning The Sopranos as well. I've gotten Discs 1-3 of Season 1 and Disc 1 of Season 2 ripped and burned without problem using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. However, when I attempt to use DVD Decrypter to rip Disc 4 (s1) to my HD I get an error message telling me that I have an "I/O Error" with "Interpretation: Check Condition", "Interpretation: Report Key - Title Key (3)", and "Interpretation: No Seek Complete".

I managed to get every file but this particular one (VTS_04_2.VOB) ripped, but I've not been able to get past this point.

From what y'all have posted this is not a problem that most have had, so any help that I can get from you guys would be enormously appreciated. The thing that gets me is that I have the files for the episode (as it's a season finale there is only one episode on the disc with everything else being extras) but can't just copy those to a dvd using Nero and make it playable in my DVD player.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can either get this problem fixed or make a DVD using the 3 files that are the movie and ignore the rest (but still have it playable in a standalone)?

Thanks in advance....

18. viddy

viddy Member

I just backed up my Season 1, Disc 4. I let DVDD rip the entire disc to the HDD, then I pulled out the main title with the re-author tool in Shrink. I burned without compression. SOP. So it could be a scratched/damaged original.

Be sure to check the DVDD tutorials on setting the read error options.

19. ceedee

ceedee Member

Had no problems with all 4 seasons of the sopranos. I used smart ripper and nero to burn

20. ceedee

ceedee Member

Also forgot to mention i used clone DvD. Sorry