1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Calibur 2: Problem

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by JRoland, Mar 3, 2005.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

While I am still new to the whole backup stuff, I have successfully made 5 working backus without any problems - well, the first 2 tries were trials...

Anyway, I generally use DVD Decrypter to READ the discs and then use Alcohol 120% to actually burn the images. Perfect so far this way, <knocks on wood>. Actually, just the other day I backed up my NCAA Football game using Alcohol to both read and write. Again, perfect!

But now I seem to have come to a stumbling block. I cannot get either program to successfully READ Soul Calibur 2. I've had this game for a while and it looks just fine.

Any thoughts please?

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

what might look good to your eye could be looking bad to the laser of you drive. I suggest cleaning the disc and if that doesn't work maybe try something like disc doctor.

3. Manh

Manh Regular member

i have the same problem, but with NFS underground 1. it plays on the system, but when i try to make a backup, it will give me an error at 60% into the iso.
    will i be able to use a disc fixing program to fix this, and what is fix doctor, and where can i get it?

4. Ikari_San

Ikari_San Member

This sounds like a problem with several games I've come across with deliberate bad sectors as a means of copy protection. Why is there no solution for this type of copy protection, or even some info on it around the net? To me it seems like just a matter of fast skipping the error sectors until readable sectors are found again, and backtracking a bit to make sure the start of the readable sectors weren't skipped over a bit.

Image readers do have advanced sector scanning for bad sectors but none of them work!

You could do what I have done and use CD/DVD Diagnostic to manually figure out where the chunk of bad sectors is (it is usually in a big chunk with empty sectors around it so as to not affect the game data). Check DVD Decrypter's log to see where the first bad sector was and go from there using Diagnostic (it's usually around 50,000-100,000 bad sectors from there) and use something like BW5Tweaker to ignore reading those sectors when reading the image.

Of course I could be way off...

5. maxima88

maxima88 Member

I've backed up a NTSC version of Soul Calibur 2 using DVD Decrypter without a problem.

Check the original to make sure for scratches and smudges. A very small scratch or the tiniest smudge could cause the error.

Manh, As for the games playing on the system, it could be that you haven't reached the part of the game that is actually using the info that's written/stamped on the DVD itself when you get to 60%.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  6. Manh

Manh Regular member

i haven't tried nfl street, but most of the time, when a game load slow is due to your burn speed, try burning it slower (consider 1x-2x for best result).
    Also the media is a factor too, try RiData, i have best result with them.

7. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Before I try what Ikari_San suggested, is there a way to manually clean a disc? Like some kind of household solution you can use?

I know this sounds really odd, but HairSpray was always a favorite for removing smudges off Textbooks - especially nice if you sell them online!

Thanks!

8. maxima88

maxima88 Member

I use Denatured Alcohol and a very soft cloth.

9. JRoland

JRoland Member

Dang, I checked for Denatured Alcohol. I should have had some since it's awesome on your windshield wipers...

Anyway, I just tried lighter fluid - no luck.

Oh, and in regards to what Ikari_San said - the error happened over 600,000+ blocks. :(

I think it's just a bad disc...