1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound cuts out halfway through movie

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by sam_ej, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sam_ej

sam_ej Member

i saw some other posts that might be related, but it seems that nobody is giving any feedback. i've had this problem with a couple of DVD's where the DVD rips just fine (using MTR) and plays fine on my computer, but when i burn to DVD the sound cuts out halfway through the movie. I've noticed this problem most often with older movies (Big, Batman, Batman Returns, Crocodile Dundee) and just one newer movie so far (Napolean Dynamite). Does anybody know anything about this or how to fix?

2. nsun38

nsun38 Member

Did you check your audio system and your DVD player since those DVD play well on your PC?

I used to have the playback problem (original DVDs) that my receiver went into "protected" mode. I eventually fix the problem by simply re-connecting the speaker cables. Note, loose wiring, dust, etc. may contribute to audio system shut down.

If this does not help. You may also want to check Audio forum for other suggestions.

3. sam_ej

sam_ej Member

i think it's more of a problem with how the DVD is being ripped and/or burned or possibly the DVD player. the movies always cut out when there is a scene change at the 30 mark (not sure what the 30 stands for, ie. min, track, scene, etc.)

4. nsun38

nsun38 Member

I don't know what 30 stands for either...

"process of elimination" to narrow down the root causes

1) Testing if the DVD is "burned" correctly -
    Play the DVDs on your PC (since you mentioned the DVD files play well on your PC so I assume the ripping was OK. though you may want to try different rippers on these titles for testing sake.)

2) Testing if your "DVD player" is functioning correctly - Take your DVDs to the store and try them on different brands.

You may know some less name brand DVD players (e.g. APEX) actually has higher tolerance of faulty disks.