1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound cuts out

Discussion in 'Audio' started by linuts, May 24, 2011.

1. linuts

linuts Member

I have my Plasma TV sound coming from my Yamaha HTR 6030 amp/reciever 5.1 surround sound system via an Optical cable, every now and then the sound cuts out for about a second, then it's back to normal.

There is no pattern to this,its very random and very annoying, i have tried 3 different optical cables, but it still does it. any help in resolving this will be greatly appreciated.

cheers

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I am sure there is a pattern you just haven't figured it out. The pattern is, the sound was really good just before it cut out.

I think what your are experiencing is clipping. That means the thermal protectors are doing their job in your amp. Protecting the amp from burning out. Cut the volume or cut the base to reduce this effect. It takes a good deal of power to hit some low tones. If you want to keep the volume up then buy a bigger amp. I can blow a 1.8 KW fuse on the back of my speakers if I am not careful. You can really feel the sound at that level. The amp is only rated 400 w/channel but a burst of base can surge the power 5x above that. The volume is less than half. It is the base that is the killer. So to blow your self out you need an amp that can put out 4,000 watts peak power. I am guessing yours isn't even close to that. I would just play at a lower volume if I were you.

Last edited: May 30, 2011