1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound forge channel balance

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cellador, Apr 19, 2004.

1. cellador

cellador Guest

I am transferring my vinyl to cd using sound forge. My left channel is recording louder than the right. I cannot find a way to balance them. Can anyone help me?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

IIRC soundforge is a semi-pro sound editor comparable to Adobe Audition. It should be easy to amplify one channel to mach the volume to the other. Check the helpfile or manual (in case they are included in the version you use *cough* ;) ).
    Otherwise ask your question at hydrogenaudio.org. I know for sure that some regulars there are familiar with soundforge.

3. cellador

cellador Guest

Thank you tigre, I have tried the help and the on line manual to no avail. I shall try hydrogenaudio.org

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

SoundForge is a full editor use by professionals ! Audition is the old Cool Edit that was bought by Sony -- it has little facilities to cope with realy messed up recordings ! Stick with Soundforge.

In SoundForge .. on the very first RECORD window -- you will see at the lower right corner a check box labelled DC adjust -- do put a checkmark there. And just below it there is CALIBRATE button. Do the calibration before starting a recording.

Now.. your trace once recorded might show one channel lower then the other -- that could possibly be normal as the song was recorded that way originally in the studio.

Should you want to make a change -- just highlight the channel and click EFFECT --> Volume--> and raised it in 2DB increments till you satisfied with the result.

For vynyl restoration -- Look in your DX Favorite menu and see if you have the FX Express Vynyl Restoration tool , this should make most of the work a lot easier for you.

Leave Me a private message in here if you need further assistance.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2004
  5. cellador

cellador Guest

Thank you jeanc1 I always check the DC offset box before I begin to record but I have never checked the calibrate box, I will try that.

I do have the vinyl restoration facility and I will use it next time, thanks for that.
    Perhaps if I explain the r recording problem in a little more detail. When I open a new recording window and it is at rest, before I actually put any sound through, the left hand meter level reads -24.5 and the right reads -27.5 and the two green meter lights are visibly at diferent levels. As I said, this is before I begin, I think I need to get the levels the same before I go any further. Have you any ideas?

Thank you again

celador

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Ohhhh.. am getting the picture now .. !

Do not worry about the difference in level there --

What is happening is simply that your PC is showing the level of ""white noise""-- that's what is called the background electrical impulses that are picked up in the input device -- those are inaudible and .. may show different on each channel. Let's not forget that your measuring module in Soundforge is a highly precise formula that is transcribed visually as a series of numbers on a scale. This could have been damped electronically but would have not permitted fine adjustment in the various other functions it is used in. Dont know if you familiar with needles on instruments that indicates analogic measurements -- The more precise ones have needles that keep bouncing around.. as the damping is very light to permit the reading of the slightest changes.

This is the same here -- the parameters involved in the measuring module are such that the readings are detecting the slightest variation vs time.

Just make sure you have your calibration done and record away .. !
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2004