1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound goes down and up..

Discussion in 'Audio' started by trixnr1, Feb 25, 2005.

1. trixnr1

trixnr1 Member

Hi,

I have built a new machine. Got onboard audio. Realtek. Problem is that sound goes up and down. Happens with MP3, video etc. Have all codecs and latest driver from RealTek Ac'97. Anyone heard about this? Please help.!

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

This is probably the result of Dynamic Compression in the form of auto volume leveling, applied during playback.
    In theory it can be a good thing, in moderation.
    When digital audio and its inherent 120dB+ dynamic range first appeared in the 1980's, folks quickly realized it was NOT the hot setup for movies in the middle-of-the-night, or apartment-dwellers with thin walls...
    Kenwood introduced switchable dynamic range compression in their LaserDisk players, under the moniker 'Midnite Theatre'.
    Check your playback device ie. WMP 9 or 10 for these settings.
    AC3Filter (popular audio decoder for AC3) when set to 'loud' preset, will also enable a normalization that may display this phenomenon. Apply the loud preset, then unselect the normalization.
    I would be surprised if this has anything to do with your hardware, so don't worry :)
    Regards

3. trixnr1

trixnr1 Member

The problem is it happening on all sounds. Have checked all settings but still same. It is sooo annoying. Getting desperate. I dont think its hardwarie either.

Probably have to re-install the whole machine :((

4. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

dont go rebuilding your machine just yet. Have you tried using slightly older drivers?

[edit]

What version of directX do you have installed? WDM sound updates are released through directX i think.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  5. trixnr1

trixnr1 Member

Im using DirectX 9. I've got RealTek onboard 8-channel sound. The driver The audio driver I have is 5.10.0.5780. Both of these should be latest?

I'm using a 5.1 Creative Speaker system. Do you think it could be H/W fault on speakers?

6. trixnr1

trixnr1 Member

I just noticed one thing. I have built in speakers on my TFT monitor. I changed the setting to run 8-channel sound and connected them aswell. When sound went down on my Creative speakers the sound on the TFT speakers stayed same!! Could it be the speakers??? It's a weird fault for the speakers though.

7. trixnr1

trixnr1 Member

8. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Hmmm interesting, please keep us posted

:eek:)

9. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

There you go :)
    This guy is thinking:
    If it does not (and the TFT speakers clued you into this) then it's a speaker issue for sure.
    So technically you could have a hardware problem - but it's not a PC hardware problem, LoL ;-)
    L8R

10. JDsAlias

JDsAlias Member

Question-

Now the answer might be obviouse to eveyone but me, but I'm having problems with my rear speakers "poping" when the sound is turned up to high, the other speakers are fine at high volumes. Any sugestions on a solution, other than turning down the volume that is.

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

True surround-sound content has not much signal below really 200Hz, and certainly NOTHING below 100Hz.
    The speakers therefore are small & light, designed for high-impedence and omni-directional dispersion with flat tonal balance.
    None of this is helpful when playing stereo content, ie. music, through your rig - you must reduce the surround volume.
    If you are playing true 5.1 (or even ProLogic) content, volumes properly balanced by test-tone, and are getting 'popping' then your speakers are pooched.
    Regards

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  12. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

have you tried swapping the inputs for front and rear speakers?

13. trixnr1

trixnr1 Member

Hi,

Got a new volume control and sound is working fine now :)

14. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Cool,

so fault was hardware then...not software

:eek:)