1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound/video not synched in divx playback

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by xxschizo, Oct 23, 2004.

1. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

I do most of my movie backups using DVDs with various programs, decrypter, nero, shrink, etc. However, I have also played around with DivX - always with disappointing results. I tried Dr. Divx and wound up with sound/picture synch problems. Recently I encoded a movie using A1 DVD Ripper Professional (1.02) and although I think the video looks ok, again the sound is out of synch - and depending on which program I use to play it back, it gets more or less out of synch. Oh, the video is jerky as well - making it harder to tell what's what. I have used WinMedia Player 10, BSR, Divx Player and Vob Virtual . . . I tried to synch the sound and video using Vob but nothing changed. I'm thinking perhaps the sound and video are timed ok but the players I use do not handle the divx format well. To be honest, I'm at a complete loss as I've searched the forums here and at divx.com and with google and I'm no closer to a solution. Any help will be much appreciated.

2. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Sorry, that was supposed to be VirtualDub, not Vob Virtual. It's late.

3. midflinx

midflinx Member

Try ReClock http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter/
    It takes some reading if you want to understand what it's doing, but that's the first place to begin. Also, mplayer http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html
    lets the user shift the audio and video sync by .1 second increments. Unfortunately the windows version doesn't have a GUI, meaning you have to run it from a DOS window. XP still has a simulated DOS command line interface, doesn't it? Good luck.

4. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

You can still run a simulated Dos command line - which I had to use to install the first program you mentioned. It smooted the video somewhat and now the audio seems to be just fractions of a second behind the video - unfortunately this is the movie 'spun' and if you know it you'll know why getting the sound and audio right might be difficult. i will try mplayer now. Thanks for your help.

5. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Ok, so I installed Mplayer but couldn't get it to load - not even using mplayer.exe on a command line. I could figure out from the text what the problem is. And I am actually looking for a solution that synchs the sound and video during production so I can play the movie on any player that is divx compatible. So . . . maybe there is another technique? Thanks for your help.

6. midflinx

midflinx Member

You're welcome. If you've tried your files in other people's computers to make sure it's not a problem with your machine, you could try virtualDub or nanDub and in the Audio options pick Interleaving, then change the Audio Skew Correction so things are in sync. If VirtualDub complains because the audio is VBR use NanDub. Hope this helps.