1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundcard not recognized by windows anymore

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Huskie, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Huskie

Huskie Member

Hi

I was just playing a game I have, which I've played for a long time without any problems, and suddenly, during the game, the sound on my headset started to get distorted, progressively, until it finally went mute. At first I thought my headset had broken, and installed my speakers instead, but it remained mute, and when I tried to play any music or sound files, winamp wouldn't even start playing (I mean, the progress bar on the sound wouldn't move). I checked DxDiag and it still recognized the soundboard as being there, while Windows' Hardware Device list wouldn't find it.
    I restarted the computer, and now not even DxDiag detects the soundcard. This time around, when trying to play a sound file, winamp tells me I have no DirectSound Driver installed.
    The problem is, though, that when I try to run the setup for any sound drivers, the setup simply shuts down right after starting up.
    The soundboard is a RealTek AC97 AudioLabs, or something like that, and it already came on the motherboard, which is an A8N-SLI Deluxe.

Does anybody have any idea what this whole thing is about?

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Try reinstalling or updating the drivers. I always have this problem with my Creative X-Fi Xteme Music sound card, and I fux it by reinstalling the drivers.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I find it difficult to believe it's a driver issue when the sound became corrupted mid-game. Reinstalling the software might work, but you may just have to buy a PCI sound card.

4. Huskie

Huskie Member

I already tried re-installing the audio driver, and even tried installing a fresh up-to-date version of it, after removing the old one, but like I said, the driver installation setup shuts down right after opening.
    And sammoris, I didn't understand which software exactly you are suggesting me to re-install, but if it's the game I doubt it has anything to do with Windows not recognizing the soundcard anymore (meaning my sound stopped working not only for the game, but for absolutely everything else as well), even because the game has run without any kinds of problems for years now.
    Thanks for the help, though.

5. Huskie

Huskie Member

Ok, this is strange... About 2 minutes ago, I had the soundcard's sound managing interface pop-up, and now my sound is working again perfectly.
    I doubt it is something stable, though, and I'm affraid it can go away just like it did in the first time.
    I'm guessing that there must be some poor connection in something between my motherboard and the soundcard, eventhough the soundcard is on-board. I only checked if the power supply cable was well connected on the motherboard region near the soundcard, but don't know what else I could check there.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?