1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Span an ISO across two Single Layer DATA dvds?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by lpew, Nov 17, 2004.

1. lpew

lpew Member

I can't burn to dual layer until that media comes down in price. But my computer is getting full of large ISO/MDS files (created using Decrypter). So, I thought I could take the ISO/MDS files and burn them as DATA spanning two DVD+R disks, so that I can then copy the ISO back onto my hard drive in the future, and watch directly using daemon tools, or burn to dual layer media when it is less expensive.

Can anyone recommend software that would allow me to span a large file across two DVD+R disks?

I started a thread in the dvd-authoring forum: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/122560
    where I indicate what I have tried, to no avail. Perhaps that forum wasn't the best one for my question, as no one responded. Or perhaps what I want is impossible!

In all the FAQs I have read, there is lots of talk about burning the ISO to two DVD+Rs but as a movie, not data. I assumed that doing that would not allow me to get the original Decrypter ISO/MDS file. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

2. lpew

lpew Member

Ok, turns out it can be done with Winzip, even though the entire process takes quite a while.

If anyone else out there can't afford dual layer media yet, and doesn't want to compress the living daylights out of their backups, and is running out of hard drive space, here's what you can do:

1. You need Winzip 9.0 (or whichever version allows splitting).
    2. Create a zip archive with the ISO and MDS file on your hard drive (you can't go directly to disk).
    3. Split with WinZip (I think it's under the Actions menu).
    4. When the two zip files are created, burn each zip onto it's own dvd.

When you are ready to watch or reburn on dual layer...

1. Copy the zip file from both dvds to your hard drive.
    2. Unzip the last of the two dvds.

Voila, you have your original ISO/MDS files.
    It takes 35 minutes to copy/unzip, and I think more than that to create the zip. But at least you have your original 4+Gig ISO file.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Nice post Ipew, I'm making a "Stickie" out of it and listing you as the contributor -

Pete

4. lpew

lpew Member

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what it means, but it sounds like it has to be good!

btw, you can't tell, but its "Lpew". That darn lower-case!. LePew was taken a long time ago, so I shortened it.

5. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

lpew and ScubaPete,

Another alternative might be to use the venerable old WIN98SE and its the FAT32 file system. Decrypter reads the DVD into a series of ISO files that are less than 4GB size. They are identified as Title00.iso, Title01.iso, etc., files and include the associated Title.mds file.

I assume you could first burn these files to several SL DVD blanks, then when DL DVD media comes down in price, read the files back to your WIN98SE FAT32 file system HDD, and finally burn to a DL DVD bank.

One of the computers I use for DVD burning is a WIN98SE P3 setup. It is strangely enough actually faster than my WINXP Pro P4 setup when using Decrypter. Shrink on the other hand is much slower on the WIN98SE P3 system than the WINXP P4 system.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thank you Grampaw -

lpew, I've made the proper correction -

lpew, a "Stickie" is indeed a good thing. There are pple who do love their ISO images no matter what OS -they have -

cheers,

Pete

7. lpew

lpew Member

Grampaw,

Oh Grampaw, you de man. You have saved me all the time it takes to zip the files, then zip them again into smaller files, and then unzip them when I want to work with them again. That's, oh, about 1 hour per backup. So thank you so much!

I don't have FAT, but I did nonetheless get Decrypter to create files that fit on a data dvd:

Tools > Settings > ISO REad Mode > File Splitting: 4GB
    Tools > Settings > File Mode > File Splitting: By File

In my first test, it created three files:
    filmtitle.I00
    filmtitle.I01
    filmtitle.MDS

To doublecheck all was good, I mounted the MDS file using Daemon Tools and played the MDS file. It worked perfectly.

I'm copying the files to disk now.

8. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Forgot you could also set the ISO file size in Decrypter - I just remembered it does it automatically (i.e. 4GB) for you if you're running Win98SE.

You can also set the ISO file size in Shrink when you read a DVD - one option is 1GB chunks, which might work better for lpew's purposes.