1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers Dropping Out

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by lisa2112, May 5, 2007.

1. lisa2112

lisa2112 Member

Here's the problem:
    The sound on my Sony micro-sattelite speakers (hooked up to a Sony receiver) will drop out sometime. The speaker connections are good. I first noticed this with my center speaker. I ran the tone test that tests all the speakers and found the my sub-woofer and left rear had the same problem. However, while running the tone test, I cranked up the volume and all speakers started to work.I kept the test running for a long time at low to medium volume and had no drop out. Tried again later and I lost my sub-woofer. Is my reciever giving up? Something going on in the reciever with the connections?
    Please help. Thanks.

2. david66

david66 Regular member

from what you say it may be your receiver you have two choices one have the receiver serviced the cost could be high or invest in a new receiver you can get a 7.1 receiver from 200.00 and up. service labor is what brings the cost up most service men get 65.00 per hour plus the price of parts so two hours at 65.00 you have almost enough for a new receiver

3. lisa2112

lisa2112 Member

Thanks for your quick response.
    I would like to avoid replacing the unit, if possible. Once you replace and upgrade one unit, you usually end up doing more. I also would like to avoid having someone fix the unit (probably end up costing the same).
    Can anything be done to fix the receiver internally? Any common problems/failed connections that could cause this?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

4. david66

david66 Regular member

all it takes for that to happen is one strand of wire connected to your speaker to short out that is short to the opposite speaker wire
    if that is not the problem then it is off to the repair shop do not go inside of your amplifier if you touch the wrong thing it could kill you