1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specific non-Sony HD question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by t8ro, Oct 1, 2004.

1. t8ro

t8ro Member

Newb here, take it easy on me. I read the FAQ and searched past topics and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I play SOCOM II on my PS2. For those that don't know, there are going to be new maps available. These maps are to be copied onto the PS2 HDD.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal (I don't think) I just don't want to buy the "official" Sony HDD. I want to put in a Maxtor (for example) and be able to use this data. Obviously the game still plays using the original disc, so the DNAS check should be fine. The question is whether or not it will be able to read these new maps off a non-Sony drive or not.

Note that I will not be installing any HDLoader type software nor will I try to play any games directly off the hard drive.

Thanks for any info.

2. notmyname

notmyname Regular member

You would need the official Sony HDD software to format a drive to be able to use it online, and I have been told that the program only works with the drives they ship. Also, the only way to get the HDD software is to buy their drive kit or borrow it from someone.