1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specific Settings for TMPGEnc (Mpeg file to SVCD and VCD)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dj_scho, Aug 13, 2002.

1. dj_scho

dj_scho Member

I've been making VCD/SVCD's for a couple of weeks now, with not one good quality looking disk to show for my efforts. I've been tweaking some of the settings in TMPGEnc trying to get the right combination to work with VCD's/SVCD's, and I'm to the point of no return. I'm now trying to get Spiderman to work (1.3GB Mpeg file)to 2 nice quality CDR results.
    For the EXPERTS out there who have had good quality results, what TMPGEnc settings (templates, bitrate, etc;) do you suggest I should use for making a VCD and SVCD?

Any helpful information would be much appreciated

2. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

dj_scho,
    Need a little more info. What has your source material been? Have you been trying to make (S)VCD's just from downloaded Divx movies, or have you tried ripping DVD's and encoding them to (S)VCD also? Bad results with downloaded Divx can be due to a number of factors (junk in, junk out). But, if you have had problems with ripped DVD's, then it might be the software and/or settings. A SVCD will give you a higher quality then VCD of course, but you will probably need more than 2 CD-R's.

3. dj_scho

dj_scho Member

Spiderman (SOURCE: Mpeg1 29.97kbits 192kbits Audio, 350x240??(<--something to that affect, I'm at work now can't remember), downloaded from Kazza 1.3 GB mpeg file.) Made Spiderman into VCD (2 Disks), and SCVD (2disks). Quality was Very good playing it in Media Player before it was encoded in TMPGEnc. Crap results after making it into SVCD and VCD with TMPGenc and burning with NERO 5.5.9.0. Does this help?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2002
  4. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

I don't understand, if the file is already in mpeg format, why re-encode it before creating your VCD or SVCD. Will Nero not accept the mpeg file as the source material?

5. dj_scho

dj_scho Member

You know I didn't really think that since I already downloaded the mpeg from the net that I could just burn it with Nero after checking out the specs on the downloaded mpeg to make it VCD(MPEG1) or SVCD(MPEG2) compliant. I think I would just have to use the TMPGEnc (MPEG TOOLS) to cut the movie in half (depending on TOC size) to fit on 2 800mb CDR's and burn with NERO, like it says in this guide link:
    http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/cut-join-mpeg.htm

Will this work guys n gals????

Last edited: Aug 13, 2002
  6. Helvis

Helvis Guest

You should be able to cut it in half with TMPGenc and then use the parts to make your S/VCD's but you may still have issues because it could have been an avi or ogm that was converted to mpg and may not be at the proper specs to be compliant with S/VCD's. If it isn't compliant, Nero should warn you that it will have to re-encode it to make it work. In that case, it may take a few more hours of encoding before Nero gets to the burn process.