1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specifying scenes and creating a table of contents in a VOB file

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by schlenof, Nov 17, 2004.

1. schlenof

schlenof Member

This is my first time posting to this forum so please excuse me if the question has already been addressed.

I bought a DVD writer and have created a DVD containing a series of VOB and IFO files. I would like to edit these files to place scenes in the movies at location which I choose. Is there an easy way to do this? Ideally, I am looking for some free software that I can download which will let me play the contents of the DVD and place marking at locations at which I would like to create new scene markings. My ultimate goal is to have some sort of table of contents when the movie is played on a DVD player which would allow me to jump directly to the portion of the movies I am interested in viewing (like you see on professionally make DVDs).

Thanks for the help!

Craig

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hi schlenof,

Rip your DVD onto your harddrive as files (eg VOBs).
    Download a 30 day trial version of DVD Lab.

It lets you open VOB files and manually set your chapter points, as well as creating a menu (if you want to or you can leave it without one).

If your DVD currently has a menu, then it will be lost. :(

Is this what you are after?

Adder.

3. schlenof

schlenof Member

Adder1,

Thanks much for the reply. I am a bit of a neophyte at this so I am not sure what you mean by "rip the DVD." Can you describe what this means and recommend a tool to do it?

Thanks a lot!

4. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

RIP = to copy the contents of a DVD to your hard drive (files will end in VOB, VTS, IFO, BUP)

Use either DVD Decrypter in FILE mode or DVD Shrink, without any shrinking (both are free programs). For DVD Shrink go here http://www.dvdshrink.info for guides on how to do it. Or look in the Guides section of the forums.

Don't forget...Have a good search to find answers as it is mostly likely that it has already been answered. :)

Adder.

5. schlenof

schlenof Member

Adder,

Thanks yet again. You responses have been extremely helpful.

I tried searching the web site for the question I am about to pose, but could not find anything that addressed this.

I have downloaded the programs you suggested and it worked great, for the most part. Using DVD Shrink, I was able to rip the DVD to my hard drive. Then using DVD Lab (which is a really nice package), I was able to insert chapters and make a nice menu. When I compiled it, it looked great on my hard drive. However, I had to download and install CopyToDVD (which DVD Lab suggested) to get it back on the DVD. When I used CopyToDVD, the quality of the movie on the DVD seemed worse than the version I watched on my computer. I looked for settings that would allow me to adjust this in CopyToDVD, with no luck.

Any advice how to get the quality to be better on the DVD?

Thanks again!