1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speed issues with dvd shrink - sorry, it's long

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jgstang, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jgstang

jgstang Member

new to all this. i am wandering what could be the reasons for slow "shrinking". after using 4 different computers, i am getting varying speeds. the part the confuses me is that the newest fastest computer, is also the slowest. Needless to say, that i shut down everything but shrink while i am shrinking on all the computers.

computer 1: desktop - athlon 1800 clocked at 1533 with 256ddr. brand new aopen 16x dvd-r drive. the max speed i am getting out of this is 4000/kbs. i checked and it is using all the processor but only 70-80k of memory.

computer 2: desktop - athlon 1800 sam clock, 512ddr. same drive. getting up to 7000kbs on this one (fastest computer). shrink uses all proc and more memory on this box
    . Both desktops are running XP pro sp1.

computer 3: laptop - toshiba p4 3200 clocked at 3.2gigs. 448 ddr. can't get shrink to hit more than 3800kbs on this computer. it is using 40% processor max and no more than 110,000kbs of ram. Any ideas on how to speed this thing up?

computer 4: laptop - 2 year old toshiba celeron clocked at 1.8. not sure the ram but it's not too much. this rips at 6000kbs (not sure why the old ass laptop rips way faster than the brand new one?). both laptops are running XP home

anyone have any ideas why i have a celeron smoking a p4 and an athlon?

THanks Justin

2. jgstang

jgstang Member