1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed issues with my new CenDyne 48x burner

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Boss-Hog, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Boss-Hog

Boss-Hog Member

Hello,

For Christmas I got the CenDyne Lightening IV 48X CD-Writer.. Having had two burners before this, I installed the drive pretty easily. Nearly every online review I've read about this CD recorder indicates that the drive burns a full (74 or 80 minute) CD in roughly 2-2:30 minutes. However, everytime I've burned an audio CD of this length (using MP3's from my hard drive) it takes a minimum of 4-5 minutes. I'm using Windows 98 and I am running the latest version of Nero to write CDs and when writing, I'm not performing any other tasks in the background. I'm writing at 48X, disc at once method, with buffer underrun protection OFF. DMA and disconnect are both checked in device manager. I'm using Imation 48X writable CD-Rs as the media. My writer is connected to the same IDE cable that my other CD drive (actually an IDE DVD-ROM drive) is connected to. I don't imagine the slower writing speed is a result of my lower computer specs, but here they are just in case:

P3 500 mHz
    256 RAM

One more thing that might be worth noting is that before I got this burner, I had a Plextor SCSI burner. When I took out the Plextor I left in my SCSI adapater card even though it's not currently connected to anything but I removed the SCSI cable that had been connected to the Plextor drive. Now, everytime I start my system, I get an exclamation point on my SCSI controller and windows 98 tries to read this device each time I start my computer. If you have any idea why my new burner is writing slower than it should be, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

2. §†§

§†§ Guest

Boss did you look at how much nero was burning it at?? becaus mistakes can be made go to file compilation info then burn and see how much nero is burning it at and change it because using the wizard isnt always cool

3. monteca

monteca Regular member

The cendyne drive is really a lite on. With the lite on it wont burn at the fast speeds if it doenst like the media. Ive had cheap media that was rated for 24x only burn at 12x and TDK 24x media burn perfectly at 48x

4. Boss-Hog

Boss-Hog Member

Yes, I've been burning at 48X. What sort of media is recommended to get optimal burn speeds with my burner? Thanks!

5. monteca

monteca Regular member

ill test some media when i put the burner back in. right now its sitting on my shelf because i have the pioneer 104 and 105 in my computer now.