1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed of CCE and Rebuilder

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Blighter, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Hi,

I read somewhere that one of the good points of CCE was the speed at which it encodes. However, for me, i've just backed-up a DVD with DVD Rebuilder and CCE, and the second stage (encoding stage) took 348 minutes, which is nearly 6 hours. However the same DVD in DVDShrink took about 2 hrs.

Is this about right?

My PC is 1.6ghz, 512meg of ram.

2. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Yup, got Phase 1 completed in 9 minutes, Phase 2 completed in 348 minutes, and Phase 3 (includes building ISO) completed in 25 minutes. Does this sound about right?

3. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

That's about double the time it takes me with 1.6 gHz, 1GB RAM

4. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Hmmm maybe Ram's a very important factor then!!

5. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I run DVDRB in low priority mode with source, working, and destination folders each on a different HD...

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Blighter

That seems a little long even for a 1.6 GHZ processor. There are other factors that affect it as well such as memory, hard disk speed, and a fragmented hard disk. I'm using an AMD 64 Venice core 3500+@2.64 GHz and my average time is just under 90 minutes for all three phases.

7. stikboy

stikboy Member

Im running 2.53ghz, 512 megs of ram and it takes me about 6 hours as well. Hmmmmmm...........

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And what do you mean by "Hmmm!"

[​IMG]

I've done some a little faster and some a little slower.

9. stikboy

stikboy Member

Had nothing to do with you :)Was more like hmmmmmm WTF is up with my system/encode times??? As far as I can tell, everything is set up right and Im getting the same times as someone with 1.6ghz. Seems like it should be a lil' faster......

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

stikboy

I was just teasing. LOL

11. L8ter

L8ter Guest

I wonder if the diference between teflonmyk & Blighter's speeds could have something to do w/ hyper threading since cce version 2.63.03 it has support the use of a multi core environment such as ht!

the difference between times may also be due to virtual memory settings as well as ram in general because it is both cpu and memory intensive!

o.t. soph do you have a copy of SW 1 phantom menace r1 ;-}, just for those sports fans out there? oops I mean for scientific purposes only!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2005
  12. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I am using 2.67

13. L8ter

L8ter Guest

@teflonmyk are you using a p4 becuse I have noticed speed gains using my p4 over some quite impressive atlon processors using cce but being blown away w/ hc 0.16 as it does not use the multi- processor environment!

@Blighter did you set-up via a guide as this can make a difference having files buried within files also there are some adjustments you can make most importantly is probably making sure your not multi-tasking by shitting down/disabling auto features of your av or similar background prog's I hate the auto features as I like to know what my p.c. is doing and be the one to choose what it is doing!

but more than likely you will not get the hour encodes out of your 1.6 ghz (I'm assuming lap-top) that some members are getting out of 3000+ mhz machines but I'll agree both 6hrs encode and 2hrs transcode seems quite lengthy!

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hyper threading doesn't work with CCE. Hyper threading only works with multi threaded CPU non intensive applications. CCE uses virtually 100% of ones processor, so Hyper threading probably slows CCE down.

Blighter

My AMD CPU is blowing most Intel CPU's out of the water.

15. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

YES, it's a P4 w/ 1 GB DDR2 RAM. Dell Precision M20 Laptop w/ two burners via USB (Pioneer 109 & LiteOn 1693S) and two ext HDs via USB (120GB Seagate & 180 GB Hitachi)...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  16. L8ter

L8ter Guest

@ teflonmyk that is what I was thinking was the difference!

@ sophocles I personally disagree but I'm not the expert here as I've not done that much testing on multiple machines but everything I've read seems to indicate precisely the opposite maybe Rockas sums it up nicely??

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=103389

this is an inteeresting topic to me though so I'm up for debate any body out there like to give there knowledge on the subject???

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

L8ter

Then could you tell Rockas for me that he's wrong? I went over this over a year ago and I was right then and I'm right now.

That quote was taken from Cinema Craft Encoder's web site. It used to explain why hyper threading doesn't work but I they've renmoved that info from their site so let me try to explain it. Hyper threading will work with multi threaded applications that aren't too CPU intensive by splitting up the work into two separate threads. But if you use an application such as CCE that uses all of a single cores CPU in a single thread, then where is it going to find CPU cycles enough to be divided up into two threads? The answer is that it can't! So when you use hyper threading to encode with CCE you're causing it to oscillate or to work back and forth between the two threads which causes a loss of CPU cycles.

Here's the link to CCE's web site where you can verify what I've just said.

http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/faq_offline.html#01

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  18. L8ter

L8ter Guest

well let me see that's pretty convincing! I read the faq link but it seems that the specs page is under construction??
    I'm not completely convinced
    hmmm maybe this is a clue the thread I linked to actually contained excerpts from the changelog provided by jdobbs but this is also not enough for me you know I'm thick so I'll be running personal test! and opst them, do you trust me to be unbiased?? as I'm interested in the truth of the matter!

it seems to me w/ the recent popularity of the htt that they would be foolish not to utilise it!

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

L8ter

Hyper-threading is good for basic multitasking or with applications that are multi threaded that don't use up all of a CPU's resources. But if you have an application that uses up the resources of two CPU's or a dual core CPU, then dividing it up to work with single a processor in a multi threaded environment using hyper threading is a figment of ones exaggeration. It won't work.

20. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

I normally rip a DVD to the hard drive first before i start the process...My Hardrive has about 100gb free space, so i doubt that's the problem...it's always defragmented (i defragment at least twice a week, and i defrag just before ripping a movie to hard drive). My processor doesn't support hyper threading, and tbh, CCE and rebuilder take up so much of the processor that i can barely multitask anyway (i normally run rebuilder while i'm asleep, so unless i've been sleepwalking, i don't intentionally multitask!).

I'm thinking that maybe it is because i only have 512 mb ram...