1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed up the burn

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by xmedic, Jan 19, 2007.

1. xmedic

xmedic Member

I have dvd shrink and nero 6 and I can burn movies. The problem is that it takes up to 3 1/2 to 4 hours to burn a movie. My buddie has a different program and it's takes half the time and he can burn Sony movies which I also have a problem with. Is there something I can do to speed up the burn or a different program that I can uses. I will listen to any help.

Thanks
    Xmedic

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Copying movies depends a lot on your PC's system resources. What do you have (model, cpu, amount of RAM and how much free, hard drive size and free space, and operating sytem, XP or whatever? Is your PC as good performance wise as your friends? 3 1/2 hours is a little bit long, even for Shrink. Other than the system itself, I'd say check the drives in the Device Manager and make sure they're in DMA.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

xmedic , check your drives they probably slipped into PIO mode where as they need to be in DMA mode you can fix that in device manager or uninstall your drives reboot and windows will reinstall the drives or use this guide

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038

as far as doing the newer movies you have a few options . clonedvd 2 + anydvd is my pick does all the newer movies updates for life etc. theres a free 21 day trial if you want to try it out. you can download it here plus theres a guide to use it here also

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

if you want to go the freeware route "RipIt4Me" is excellent, check this thread out

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422740

4. xmedic

xmedic Member

I have a HP Pavilion/Turion64/ with a 100g hard drive Windows Xp just over 1yr old. I check out he Device manager.

Thanks I let you know if i speed up the burn

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

what is your burn speed? you realy should not burn over 4x, also are you you doing full disk or just movie? you might try turning off any thing that you are not useing and no multitasking clean up your temp files defrag stuff like that, this should help with your time, also good thing come to thoes who wait, good luck

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Laptops aren't really recommended for doing video work, but a lot of people do it. They have slower processors and and drives than the desktops. What kind of PC is your friend's that's faster? A faster spinning HD will help a lot of laptops, but it increases heat and power consumption. What is the HD RPM speed, the CPU speed, and how much RAM does it have? Plus how much of the 100GB HD is free?

How'd that PIO/DMA check come out?

aabbccdd
    Sometimes just deleting the drive won't kick it back into DMA. I've had to delete the Channel with the drive under Controllers. The plug n play picks it up on reboot just like a drive. Since that method is more sure, I've started doing that instead of just trying the other things first.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes correct Pacman77 deleting the IDE Controllers along with the drives my mistake for not adding it

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Channels under Controllers.